Bug 8920 - 4.4.41 Compile, Debug issues
Summary: 4.4.41 Compile, Debug issues
Status: VERIFIED NOT_REPRODUCIBLE
Alias: None
Product: Android
Classification: Xamarin
Component: General ()
Version: 4.4.x
Hardware: PC Windows
: --- normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-12-13 15:13 UTC by Justin Johnson
Modified: 2013-05-13 17:42 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED NOT_REPRODUCIBLE

Description Justin Johnson 2012-12-13 15:13:25 UTC
I recently updated our project to MfA 4.4.41 and I have been getting nonstop compile errors. At first it had problems with the support library jar file existing twice in the build. I posted this as an SO question and then figured out that Support Lib instructions in the Xamarin documentation are, apparently out of date:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13850409/monoforandroid-android-support-v4-jar-compile-issue/13863655#13863655

I removed my manually-added support lib but now I get constant errors on the StripEmbeddedLibraries task during build. Breakpoints have also stopped working in both MonoDevelop and Visual Studio. This happened at the same time but may not be related.

Here is error output from build:

C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Novell\Novell.MonoDroid.Common.targets(5,5): Error MSB4018: The "StripEmbeddedLibraries" task failed unexpectedly.

System.IO.IOException: The process cannot access the file 'C:\Users\jjohnson\Dropbox\code\C#\droidapp\STPMonoDroid\obj\Debug\assemblies\Mono.Android.Support.v4.dll' because it is being used by another process.

   at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)

   at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy, Boolean useLongPath)

   at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

   at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.GetFileStream(String fileName, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

   at Mono.Cecil.ModuleDefinition.Write(String fileName, WriterParameters parameters)

   at Xamarin.Android.Tasks.StripEmbeddedLibraries.Execute()

   at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskExecutionHost.Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.ITaskExecutionHost.Execute()

   at Microsoft.Build.BackEnd.TaskBuilder.ExecuteInstantiatedTask(ITaskExecutionHost taskExecutionHost, TaskLoggingContext taskLoggingContext, TaskHost taskHost, ItemBucket bucket, TaskExecutionMode howToExecuteTask, Boolean& taskResult) (MSB4018) (STPMonoDroid)
Comment 1 Justin Johnson 2012-12-13 15:28:14 UTC
This may be due to hosting my project in dropbox. My theory is that the new(ish?) async deploy system doesn't like the fact that dropbox is also indexing the file. 

I have moved the project out of dropbox and have not yet encountered the error again.

I have been using dropbox for the duration of this project because it makes it really easy to do local git commits from any computer, even when working offline, and push them to our internal-only master server when I'm not working remote.

Breakpoints are still not working but this is likely some other issue.
Comment 2 PJ 2013-05-13 17:42:06 UTC
Heyo, It's been a while here and your last report says it's working without being in dropbox, so I'm going to resolve the issue. 

I've added an item to test with dropbox and git together, perhaps this will be a supported combination in the future.