Bug 7728 - We could provide a better error message when the target device is not set to be used for deployment.
Summary: We could provide a better error message when the target device is not set to ...
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: iOS
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Debugger ()
Version: 6.0.x
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: Normal enhancement
Target Milestone: Future Cycle (TBD)
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
: 8003 11055 12326 ()
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-10-08 12:00 UTC by Dave Evans
Modified: 2017-01-11 23:04 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

Tags: error enhancement
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description Dave Evans 2012-10-08 12:00:07 UTC
I get this while debugging.

error MT0000: Unexpected error - Please file a bug report at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com
MonoTouch.MobileDevice.MobileDeviceException: Send Message Error (error: 0xe800002d)
  at MonoTouch.Installation.Device.StartService (MonoTouch.CoreFoundation.CFString service) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MonoTouch.Debugging.AppListService.GetApplicationListXml (MonoTouch.Installation.Device d) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MonoTouch.Installation.Installer.KillApplication (MonoTouch.Installation.Device d, System.String appId) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MonoTouch.Installation.Installer+<KillApplication>c__AnonStorey7.<>m__8 (MonoTouch.Installation.Device d) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Do you need any more information?
Comment 1 Rolf Bjarne Kvinge [MSFT] 2012-10-08 17:49:26 UTC
We'd need the following information:

* Which iOS version the device has (this error is known to happen on some of the iOS6 beta version for instance).
* MonoDevelop version
* MonoTouch version
* Xcode version

The latest three you can find in MonoDevelop's menu -> About MonoDevelop -> Version Information.
Comment 2 Sebastien Pouliot 2012-10-17 17:19:14 UTC
I hit the same error while trying the test case for #7410, using:

* iPad3 w/iOS6
* monotouch 851da72b6989bbd0ccb1ab7790337630f79c0ef9
* Xcode 4.5.1
Comment 3 Sebastien Pouliot 2012-10-17 17:38:22 UTC
Restarting the device fixed it. I noticed that the deployment time was *abnormally* long. It _may_ have been the first thing I deployed since updating to Xcode 4.5.1 (can't recall the exact order).

Dave, do you recall if you recently updated your Xcode (maybe not 4.5.1) before getting that error ?

In any case it should not return an MT0000 error, but a specific error code.
Comment 4 Sebastien Pouliot 2012-10-26 09:58:55 UTC
*** Bug 8003 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Chris Muench 2013-02-28 17:46:45 UTC
Same on my MAC:
Xamarin Studio 4.0 Build 2003
Xamarin.IOS 6.2.065 (Business Edition)
XCode 4.6 (2066 4H127)
Mac OS: 10.8.2
IPAD2 Version: 6.1.2 (10B146)
Comment 6 Sebastien Pouliot 2013-02-28 18:40:40 UTC
Chris, an MT0000 error means something has gone really wrong. If your stack trace is not 100% identical to the one in the original description then please file a new bug report and include your stack trace (as a minimum) and, if possible, your full build log.
Comment 7 Chris Muench 2013-02-28 18:50:08 UTC
I just found the reason...After Upgrading to 6.1.2 on my iPad the iPad was no longer set to be "Used for Development".
I went to the XCode organizer and clicked on Use For Development.
Now it compiles better...hitting the AOT MT3001 error for the ServiceStack.Text JSON Serializer

I was just reading through all the notes in Bugzilla about this one....
Thanks
chris
Comment 8 Rolf Bjarne Kvinge [MSFT] 2013-05-22 17:52:06 UTC
*** Bug 12326 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 10 PJ 2013-07-15 13:08:45 UTC
Looks like this was resolved by Chris back in February, at least the core issue causing the unknown error. 

That being said, we should give a better error when the device is not set to be used for deployment.
Comment 11 PJ 2013-11-19 16:45:02 UTC
This bug was targeted for a past milestone, moving to the next non-hotfix active milestone.
Comment 12 GouriKumari 2016-01-11 19:54:33 UTC
This is an old bug and is a work in  progress. Moving the milestone to "far future".
Comment 13 Rolf Bjarne Kvinge [MSFT] 2016-02-19 18:13:07 UTC
Fixed, we'll now show better errors when a device isn't configured correctly for development.

maccore/master: 8d0bff72200cf2498bd8f707cffc3410c6a756ad
Comment 14 Sebastien Pouliot 2017-01-11 23:04:29 UTC
*** Bug 11055 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***