Bug 758 - Deploying my project to iPhone fails
Summary: Deploying my project to iPhone fails
Status: RESOLVED NOT_REPRODUCIBLE
Alias: None
Product: iOS
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Tools ()
Version: 4.x
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: --- blocker
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Sebastien Pouliot
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2011-09-12 09:54 UTC by Adrian Grigore
Modified: 2011-09-19 16:00 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED NOT_REPRODUCIBLE

Comment 3 Sebastien Pouliot 2011-09-12 10:45:02 UTC
oops, wrong status. set it back to new once files are attached
Comment 4 Adrian Grigore 2011-09-12 11:08:18 UTC
I managed to work around this problem by pure coincidence, but now I get a new error message which I have described at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=759

Regarding what was causing this issue: I was using a LINQ query based on a generic class type. As soon as I rewrote that method with procedural code (foreach loops) the problem went away. 

BTW: The same method also caused an exception while running the software on an iPhone. The LINQ query did not cause this exception when I was still using an older Mono / Monotouch version, so this seems to be a new issue with Mono / Monotouch.
Comment 5 Sebastien Pouliot 2011-09-12 11:38:23 UTC
Can you please provide me with the original (failing) assembly so I can ensure that we, at least, provide a better error message to other users facing the same situation. Thanks!
Comment 8 Sebastien Pouliot 2011-09-12 15:41:03 UTC
Thanks, I'll look at them. Hopefully I'll be able to duplicate the issue.
Comment 9 Sebastien Pouliot 2011-09-12 16:19:24 UTC
Sadly I'm able to load every attached assembly without issue :(

If you have older binaries or are able to reproduce this in the future please re-open this bug report (or fill a new one) and I'll make sure this gets fixed or, at least, reported in a more helpful way to users. Thanks!
Comment 10 Adrian Grigore 2011-09-12 18:52:16 UTC
Sorry to hear so... I still have everything in version control though and I was still able to reproduce the issue before uploading the libs, so nothing is lost yet. I just don't know how to help you reproduce this. If this wasn't a closed source project, I'd upload the entire sources, but unfortunately that isn't really an option...
Comment 11 Sebastien Pouliot 2011-09-12 19:07:25 UTC
hmm... you had the issue with those exact binaries ? If so then I'll try again another way. 

We could set up an NDA but it's not likely worth the papers since it's solved and we know, if not exactly, the cause of this (even without a test case). IOW I can (and will) put better diagnostics inside MonoTouch to cover such cases :-)

Thanks again!
Comment 12 Adrian Grigore 2011-09-13 05:26:42 UTC
How about we sign an NDA and I send you the source code. Then you can reproduce this problem and you could also give me a hint on how to proceed with the JIT exceptions I am getting.
Comment 13 Sebastien Pouliot 2011-09-13 07:59:30 UTC
Contact support to ask for the NDA document. Include the bug numbers for reference purpose.
http://support.xamarin.com/customer/portal/emails/new