Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Created attachment 2538 [details]
Mac Mini Core i5 2.3GHz / 16GB
OS X 10.8.1
iPhone 3GS on 5.1.1
If the build path contains certain characters (in my case, square brackets and the pound sign), deployment to a real iOS device will fail like:
Connected to: Dilbert
Initializing file service...
Finalizing file service...
Installation failed: Package Extraction Failed Error (error: 0xe8000050)
error MT1006: Could not install the application '/Users/yvan/Documents/Projects/[#12345]test/test/test/bin/iPhone/Debug/test.app' on the device: Package Extraction Failed Error (error: 0xe8000050).
The application was terminated by a signal: SIGHUP
The application will run in the simulator.
This behaviour *appears* to have only started around September 5, possibly after an XCode update.
The following notes correspond to the attachments. Each is simply a build/deploy log. In all cases I did:
Start new Solution...
MonoTouch -> Universal -> Empty Project
Change to Debug|iPhone profile.
When the project below lives in folder A, I get the error.
Folder A is: /Users/yvan/Dropbox/Red Cell Innovation/Projects/[#40004] City of Guelph Tourism App/Source/Guelph.App.iOS.VisitGuelph
When I copy the solution to folder B, it works fine.
Folder B is: /Users/yvan/Documents/Projects/Guelph.App.iOS.VisitGuelph
Similarly, when I create an empty project called "test" in Folder A, I get the error, but when I create an empty project in Folder B, no problems.
With a theory that the longer path played a role, I built project C (attached). It worked fine.
Folder C is /Users/yvan/Documents/Projects/foo/bar/foo/bar/foo/foo bar foo bar foo bar foo bar/test
With a theory that it didn't like being built in a DropBox folder, I built project D. It worked fine.
Folder D is /Users/yvan/Dropbox/Red Cell Innovation/Development/test
Project E was the same as A, but one folder higher. It did NOT work.
Folder E is /Users/yvan/Dropbox/Red Cell Innovation/Projects/[#40004] City of Guelph Tourism App/test
Project F was in a different folder at the same level as E. It did NOT work.
/Users/yvan/Dropbox/Red Cell Innovation/Projects/[#50033] Poster Pals/test
Project G was in a folder at the same level as B, but with square brackets and # in the path. It did NOT work.
Hypothesis: The package extraction tool cannot cope with certain characters in the path.
I should mention that although I have 22 years experience as a programmer, I am an idiot when it comes to Macs, so maybe I'm doing something obvious wrong like having an uncool haircut or (gasp) using a PC keyboard and mouse on my Mac Mini.
I think you nailed the problem. I'll try to duplicate it and see if it comes from MonoTouch or Xcode side (and for the later if/how we can wrok around this). Anyway we can, at least, provide a better error message about the situation.
Thanks a lot for taking the time to test and report this behaviour.
using '[' and ']' works but '#' fails
Installation failed: AMDeviceInstallApplication returned: 0xe8000067 (kAMDAPIInternalError)
error MT1006: Could not install the application '/Users/poupou/Projects/test#2/test2/bin/iPhone/Debug/test2.app' on the device: AMDeviceInstallApplication returned: 0xe8000067 (kAMDAPIInternalError).
My error code is different - that could be because I'm using MonoTouch 5.99.4 on Xcode 4.5 GM. Out of curiosity what version of MonoTouch are you using ?
I'll try to find a way to encode this (if possible) differently so the API will allow it.
I am using MonoTouch 5.4.0 build 30004006.
When this problem first started (in early September, I think after an XCode update from 4.4.0 to 4.4.1), the error code 0xe8000050 was the same, but the MT error was different; Installation failed: AMDeviceInstallApplication returned: 0xe8000050 but with no mention of package extraction failure.
I tried all kinds of things to fix it. One of them was installing XCode 4.5. This also resulted in an error at the same stage, but it was 0xe8000067 like you are getting.
It would be interesting to try rolling back to XCode 4.4.0 or earlier to see if the problem goes away. I however have already spent too much time on this and have a deadline this week.
Thanks for the extra details, they will prove useful. Good luck on your project!