Bug 6692 - code complete does not work
Summary: code complete does not work
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin Studio
Classification: Desktop
Component: Text Editor ()
Version: 3.0.x
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Mike Krüger
URL:
: 6394 ()
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-08-25 19:48 UTC by Jens
Modified: 2012-08-28 12:50 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
example project (500.31 KB, application/x-zip-compressed)
2012-08-25 19:48 UTC, Jens
Details
screenshot showing the problem (288.07 KB, image/png)
2012-08-25 19:52 UTC, Jens
Details
done the same on a different mac (499.79 KB, application/zip)
2012-08-26 04:10 UTC, Jens
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description Jens 2012-08-25 19:48:34 UTC
Created attachment 2410 [details]
example project

I am currently trying to create a multi plattform mobile app and have problems with autocomplete

how to reproduce:
1. create empty solution
2. create "C# Library" project (in my example called CoreShared). it contains MyClass(). add some debug output to constructor
3. create "Mono for Android Library Project" (in my example called 'CoreAndroid')
4. create "Mono for Android Application" (in my example called 'LetMeTalkAndroid')

5. in CoreAndroid make "add -> add files" and add the MyClass.cs file. choose to "link" it
6. in LetMeTalkAndroid, make "references -> edit references -> projects" and add "CoreAndroid"

in LetMeTalkAndroid the MyClass should be known now. 

7. go to Activity.cs and try to add "using CoreShared;". the code completion does NOT work
8. add "MyClass myClass = new MyClass();". the code completion does NOT work
9. run the app and see, that the MyClass constructor was called. So the linker (?) does know MyClass...

I hope the way I did is was correct. If not please show me a tutorial which explains how to do a multiplattform app

maybe important: last weekend the back then current alpha completly destroyed basicly every project I had so I went back to the beta. Maybe some strange config from the alpha survived and cause bad things?

I will add a screen shot and the example app

Version Info:
MonoDevelop 3.0.3.5
Installation UUID: 663de92f-f992-49eb-9bfd-1c777e4cb749
Runtime:
	Mono 2.10.9 (tarball)
	GTK 2.24.10
	GTK# (2.12.0.0)
	Package version: 210090011
Apple Developer Tools:
	 Xcode 4.4 (1484)
	 Build 4F250
Mono for Android: 4.2.4.167234518
Android SDK: /Users/jur/Downloads/android-sdk-macosx
Supported Android versions:
	Version: 1.6	ApiLevel: 4
	Version: 2.1	ApiLevel: 7
	Version: 2.2	ApiLevel: 8
	Version: 2.3	ApiLevel: 10
	Version: 3.1	ApiLevel: 12
	Version: 4.0	ApiLevel: 14
	Version: 4.0.3	ApiLevel: 15
Java SDK: /usr/bin

Monotouch: 5.3.5
Build information:
	Release ID: 30003005
	Git revision: 3d53e1366933298a3fe0cdc6d0f7d00c9916564c-dirty
	Build date: 2012-07-27 19:06:34+0000
	Xamarin addins: 73ecde7c48d943adb6e33d511d3cf0661d006801
Operating System:
	Mac OS X 10.8.1
	Darwin noname 12.1.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.1.0
	    Tue Aug 14 13:29:55 PDT 2012
	    root:xnu-2050.9.2~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Comment 1 Jens 2012-08-25 19:52:05 UTC
Created attachment 2411 [details]
screenshot showing the problem
Comment 2 Jens 2012-08-26 04:10:58 UTC
Created attachment 2412 [details]
done the same on a different mac

I tried to do exact the same steps on a new Mac which never had older versions or the alphas installed. And here it "just works".
Maybe you can compare both versions and find the differences?

Or, maybe just tell me how to wipe out the monodevelop config on the first mac so I can have a fresh start on that device too?
Comment 3 Mike Krüger 2012-08-27 23:58:36 UTC
Fixed.

There is a workaround: close & reopen the file - then code completion should work.
Comment 4 Mike Krüger 2012-08-28 02:28:18 UTC
*** Bug 6719 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Mike Krüger 2012-08-28 02:29:03 UTC
*** Bug 6394 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 6 Jens 2012-08-28 12:50:35 UTC
some information:
as you can seen, monoTouch was in version 5.3.5, which back then was distributed via the beta and the alpha channel.

I went back to "stable" and the only thing it changed was that I got monoTouch 5.2.x. Here autocomplete did "just work". When going back to the beta channel I got again 5.3.5 and then it still worked...
No idea why MonoTouch should change anything in an android project, but it seems it did.

close&reopen did not work... I mean, I restarted monodevelop several times and created completely new projects...