Bug 6016 - Deploy to Device doesn't update during the process
Summary: Deploy to Device doesn't update during the process
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin Studio
Classification: Desktop
Component: Android Add-in ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Alan McGovern
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-07-06 13:41 UTC by Stephen Shaw
Modified: 2016-08-03 15:37 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED FIXED

Description Stephen Shaw 2012-07-06 13:41:11 UTC
Using a version from git:
Build information:
	Release ID: 30100000
	Git revision: 6d41fd0d2891dbd5a3d96878f895fe3b9b4c3d68-dirty
	Build date: 2012-07-06 16:47:03+0000
	Xamarin addins: fa75402724aa9818f40d7180c6ae89f060d7e9cd

Deploy to Device only displays this text and doesn't update:
    Detecting installed packages
    Waiting for packaging to complete


It was working in this version:
Build information:
        Release ID: 30100000
        Git revision: f0f0e38a74b9b97d9e7f94c63b17718fa5e21874-dirty
        Build date: 2012-07-05 13:16:45+0000
        Xamarin addins: c1f5fcfbfab35007182eda1657509dc510b308a1
Comment 1 Edwin Klesman 2012-08-13 09:03:02 UTC
Same here. I need to delete the app on the device before it will upload another (newer) version again...
Comment 2 Stephen Shaw 2012-08-15 11:24:46 UTC
This will drive you crazy since everything lets you to believe that it worked, but any code changes don't appear to have any affect.  You can set breakpoints on the code before hitting debug, but once you are debugging (running the app on the device) it resolves the breakpoints to the nearest valid line of code based on the old code.

The only fix as mentioned in comment 1 is to remove the app from the device.
Comment 3 Alan McGovern 2012-08-15 12:27:24 UTC
Edwin, can you paste the contents of the Version Information window so I can check exactly what version of MonoDevelop you are running?
Comment 4 Alan McGovern 2012-08-15 16:44:24 UTC
This has been fixed in git master and should be in the next 3.0.4.x (or higher) release of MonoDevelop. Thanks for reporting this.

One workaround you can try for now is to enable 'Fast Deployment' in the 'Mono for Android' section of the project options. That could potentially bypass the issue.
Comment 5 Stephen Shaw 2012-08-15 17:07:04 UTC
Thanks!!!  You win something cool. :)
Comment 6 Edwin Klesman 2012-08-16 01:45:51 UTC
Sorry guys,

It was after midnight in Holland and I was in a days-hard-work of coma...
See the version info at the end.

I enabled the 'fast deployment' setting for my android project but this didn't work:
- build clean all, followed by making changes to a layout file prooved that the deploy wasn't a success
- i made some bogus code change (adding extra variable) to check if this would force recompilation of some sort. No sigar too.

I'll wait for the fix in the update. If you have any questions or suggestions i'l provide an answer/try it out.

- - -
Version info

MonoDevelop 3.0.4.3
Installation UUID: 51e189cc-90c9-4460-83de-8dd8c0ec842e
Runtime:
	Mono 2.10.9 (tarball)
	GTK 2.24.10
	GTK# (2.12.0.0)
	Package version: 210090011
Apple Developer Tools:
	 Xcode 4.4.1 (1488)
	 Build 4F1003
Monotouch: 5.3.5
Mono for Android: 4.2.5
Android SDK: /DeveloperAndroid/android-sdks
	Supported Android versions:
		2.1   (API level 7)
		2.2   (API level 8)
		2.3   (API level 10)
		3.1   (API level 12)
		4.0   (API level 14)
		4.0.3 (API level 15)
		4.1   (API level 16)
Java SDK: /usr
Build information:
	Release ID: 30004003
	Git revision: a4a635018f425d71a253d39114d945c4d6f7cbdb-dirty
	Build date: 2012-08-08 00:46:26+0000
	Xamarin addins: 0438cfee6f65a2a054576c9ef590fafea7cb2013
Operating System:
	Mac OS X 10.8.0
	Darwin Edwin-Klesmans-MacBook-Pro.local 12.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.0.0
	    Sun Jun 24 23:00:16 PDT 2012
	    root:xnu-2050.7.9~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Comment 7 Alan McGovern 2012-08-16 05:51:19 UTC
If you enable Fast Development and then delete the application from your phone, future build/deploy cycles should work just fine. If they do not, can you add a comment letting me know that as it is a different bug which we'd need to track down.
Comment 8 Edwin Klesman 2012-08-16 06:54:43 UTC
What I did:
- I enabled the fast development option
- deleted app on the android phone
- Build > Clean all
- Recompile
- Run (debug)
- Stop session in monodevelop
*
- change text in axml layout file
- added property in activity.cs file
- Build > Clean all
- Recompile
- Run (debug)

No dice.. still the old layout shown (it has AndroidResource as action btw)

Explicitly stopping the app on the device myself in the listing above (where the * is located) doesn't make a difference either...
Comment 9 Alan McGovern 2012-08-16 09:08:30 UTC
This seems to be a different issue so I'll reopen this while I investigate. Thanks for the additional information!
Comment 11 Stephen Shaw 2013-05-14 18:26:32 UTC
I don't think this is still an issue.