Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
# Steps to Reproduce
1. File -> New -> Cross-Platform -> Cross-Platform App.
# Expected Behavior
Templates unfold correctly, projects are loaded successfully, and there are no (or minimal) errors and warnings.
# Actual Behavior
An IDE0006 error is thrown while loading the project. Here is the exact error message:
Warning IDE0006 Error encountered while loading the project. Some project features, such as full solution analysis for the failed project and projects that depend on it, have been disabled. App4.Android 1 Active To see what caused the issue, please try below.
1. Close Visual Studio
2. Open a Visual Studio Developer Command Prompt
3. Set environment variable “TraceDesignTime” to true (set TraceDesignTime=true)
4. Delete .vs directory/.suo file
5. Restart VS from the command prompt you set the environment varaible (devenv)
6. Open the solution
7. Check 'C:\Users\piboggan\AppData\Local\Temp\\App4.Android_*.designtime.log' and look for the failed tasks (FAILED)
I tried to grab the designtime logs as stated in the instructions, but after running through them was unable to generate a designtime.log.
# Environment Information
This is on a fresh install on a machine that hasn't had Visual Studio or Xamarin installed before.
Environment Information: https://gist.github.com/pierceboggan/b19b77773aba683649587ceed6f794ac
PR up https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android/pull/730
Should be fixed in xamarin-android/master/e5c5a824
The fix for this bug was not complete as of Comment 3. For example, in the master branch as of the time of Comment 2 and Comment 3, the `GetAdditionalResourcesFromAssemblies` task would still fail _later_ in the design-time build process.
These later failures were addressed in https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android/pull/889. That change was merged to the master branch in xamarin-android/master/87411b5 and picked onto the d15-5 branch in xamarin-android/d15-5/437144a. But the change is _not_ present on the d15-4 branch:
- The change is _missing_ in Xamarin.Android 22.214.171.124 (d15-4), so the warning from Comment 0 still occurs with that version.
- The change is _present_ in Xamarin.Android 126.96.36.199 (d15-5), and the warning does _not_ occur with that version.
- By chance, this issue will also be resolved for the precise scenario described in Comment 0 in the _next_ release from the d15-4 branch. The reason is that https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android/pull/952 (the partial reversion of https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-android/pull/709 to stop Bug 60080 in the d15-4 branch) disabled the `GetAdditionalResourcesFromAssemblies` task entirely during design-time builds, and that is sufficient to stop the issue for the particular new project scenario described in Comment 0. (That said, d15-4 does _not_ contain the change to the `Aapt` task from xamarin-android/pull/889, so there might still be scenarios on d15-4 where the `Aapt` task will cause this warning.)
## Follow-up topics
The current approach from xamarin-android/pull/730 and xamarin-android/pull/889 of adding `ContinueOnError` attributes to certain Tasks _improves_ the user experience for this bug because it allows IntelliSense to behave as expected, and it stops the _exact_ warning described in Comment 0, _but_ it still leaves behind some confusing warnings in the error list.
I have added follow-up questions about the remaining warnings in Bug 50914, Comment 9 because that bug contains additional background context about those warnings.
## Verification status: verified in Xamarin.Android 8.0.2
> GOOD: Visual Studio 2017 version 15.4.2, Xamarin.Android SDK 188.8.131.52 (HEAD/c2a33d8ea)
> BAD: Visual Studio 2017 version 15.4.1, Xamarin.Android SDK 184.108.40.206 (HEAD/7a6a056e8)
## Steps followed to test
1. Create a new "Visual C# > Cross Platform App (Xamarin) > Blank App, Xamarin.Forms, Portable Class Library (PCL)" project.
2. Wait for the project to load completely.
3. Open "View > Error List". (Optionally, set the drop-down menu in the Error List window to "Build + IntelliSense" to show as much information as possible.)
## GOOD Results with Visual Studio 2017 version 15.4.2, Xamarin.Android SDK 220.127.116.11
The Error List contains _no_ "IDE0006 Error encountered while loading the project" warnings. (One other familiar old warning still appears for the Android project, but as mentioned in Comment 4 the follow-up discussion for that can be handled in Bug 50914.)
## BAD Results with Visual Studio 2017 version 15.4.1, Xamarin.Android SDK 18.104.22.168
The Error List _does_ contain a "IDE0006 Error encountered while loading the project" warning.
## Additional testing environment info
Android SDK Tools 25.2.5
Android SDK Platform-tools 25.0.5
Android SDK Build-tools 25.0.3
Android 8.0.0 (API 26) SDK Platform
Android 7.1.1 (API 25) SDK Platform
Java JDK 8u131 (1.8.0_131), 64-bit
Windows 10 Version 1703, 64-bit
US English locale, US Eastern time zone
User name: Windows User