Bug 573 - 90% cpu when attempting to edit file with many compilation errors
Summary: 90% cpu when attempting to edit file with many compilation errors
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin Studio
Classification: Desktop
Component: C# Binding ()
Version: 2.6 RC 1
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: --- blocker
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Mike Krüger
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2011-08-31 12:41 UTC by Jonathan Shore
Modified: 2011-09-06 02:13 UTC (History)
1 user (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description Jonathan Shore 2011-08-31 12:41:13 UTC
I tried this on both 2.6.rc1 and rc2, with the same behavior.  

1. Edit a C# file of, say, 1500+ lines.  
2. Introduce 50+ errors (perhaps with search/replace). 
3. Compile
4. Attempt to edit / fix errors 

Cannot (or can barely) type into the file as the large # of error messages embedded in the code is being tracked / evaluated in a very inefficient way.

The CPU load was going up very high.  I had to close and reload the solution without compiling, multiple times in order to edit the large file.  As compiling and attempting to fix the error was extremely slow.

I don't know if is relevant or not (probably not), but there were errors in other files.  I only experienced the super-slow behavior in the large file and not in the smaller files with errors.
Comment 1 Mike Krüger 2011-09-06 02:13:58 UTC
I've just tested it and you're right - it's hardly usable with a large amount of errors.

Go to the build aoptions and turn off the message bubbles, then they aren't generated. The 2.6 branch was branched quite a time ago. I fixed the error bubble structure in trunk (which will be 2.8), but atm we're focussing on getting 2.8 out of the door - which will be this year. 

That's why I don't backport it to 2.6 (and I want some time to test it out as well).

Therefore I close this one - it's fixed in 2.8 but won't backport to 2.6 :/

(It's a bit infrastructure that did get changed - affected the folding representation as well)