Bug 56985 - Unable to execute anything from Google.Cloud.BigQuery.V2 library
Summary: Unable to execute anything from Google.Cloud.BigQuery.V2 library
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Workbooks & Inspector
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Client: Cross Platform (Shared Code) ()
Version: 1.2.2
Hardware: PC Windows
: --- normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: xamarininteractive
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2017-05-31 02:29 UTC by mike.murko
Modified: 2017-08-29 17:29 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
Screenshot demonstrating correct output (225.27 KB, image/png)
2017-08-29 17:29 UTC, Bojan Rajkovic [MSFT]
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description mike.murko 2017-05-31 02:29:56 UTC
Issue:
    When I add the "Google.Cloud.BigQuery.V2 1.0.0-beta11" NuGet package, I am not able to access a table
    and the process just keeps spinning with "Running". I can choose to "Abort" and try again, but no luck.

How to reproduce:
    Add package "Google.Cloud.BigQuery.V2" with 'Show Pre-release packages' checked. Follow instructions
    here (https://cloud.google.com/bigquery/docs/reference/libraries) to authenticate with your gcloud. 
    After command `gcloud auth application-default login` you should create a user environment variable 
    called GOOGLE_APPLICATION_CREDENTIALS that points to the application_default_credentials.json generated
    by that gcloud statement.

    Add this code to the Console Workbook cell:
        // Good from here
        #r "Google.Cloud.BigQuery.V2"
        using Google.Cloud.BigQuery.V2;
        BigQueryClient client = BigQueryClient.Create("your-project-name");

        // Until this point, where it just hangs
        BigQueryTable table = client.GetTable("bigquery-public-data", "samples", "shakespeare");
        Console.WriteLine(table);

    Hit ctrl-enter to execute that cell

What to expect:
    An output string of `bigquery-public-data.samples.shakespeare`

What you get:
    Spinning "Running" in the cell that was executed. Never returns anything.

Notes:
    -I put this exact same code into a netcoreapp1.1 Console application with the same NuGet package 
     and the code executed on first build.
    -Is there a way I can find a more detailed log than AppData\Local\Xamarin\Inspector\logs? It 
     doesn't give me any information on why it is hanging?
    -Is Xamarin Workbooks running target netcoreapp1.1?
    -Let me know if this bug report needs more/less detail.
Comment 1 Sandy Armstrong [MSFT] 2017-05-31 04:13:05 UTC
A "Console" workbook targets desktop .NET 4.6.1, not .NET Core.

It might be worth trying our latest 1.3 alpha, which has better NuGet support https://developer.xamarin.com/releases/interactive/interactive-1.3/ .

There are no more detailed logs, but we can investigate the use of this package and see what we find.

Thanks for reporting this!
Comment 2 Bojan Rajkovic [MSFT] 2017-08-29 17:28:38 UTC
This appears to be fixed in the 1.3 release candidate that we released yesterday. Please try it and reopen the issue if it is not fixed for you.
Comment 3 Bojan Rajkovic [MSFT] 2017-08-29 17:29:23 UTC
Created attachment 24461 [details]
Screenshot demonstrating correct output

Attaching a screenshot demonstrating the fix as well.