Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
When I open a project the IDE is constantly freezing. Bringing up the Windows Taks Manager shows aapt.exe spawning every 10 or so seconds, running for another 10 and hogging CPU. It will continuously respond for minutes at a time.
Created attachment 20474 [details]
Not only does this block the IDE but if I'm running Update-Package -reinstall in the nuget console the output will be blocked by apt.exe continuously responing. HOWEVER if I manage to kill apt.exe before it completes in the task manager it will move progress along. It does not appear to progress until I kill at least one of the apt processes.
Here is a forum post about this issue: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/90536/visual-studio-2015-and-2017-high-cpu-and-long-freezes-on-load-build-and-debug-forms-project
Here's another one: https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/89519/visual-studio-hangs-on-opening-of-project-after-build-and-on-adding-a-package
I'm having the same issue on VS2017. Aapt.exe is called about 20 times on our project when either (a) the solution is loaded or (b) when starting the debugger on Android. Note that during the actual build & deploy phase of our APK it's only called once. When VS goes into the cycle of calling aapt.exe over and over again, it's called each time with the same parameters differing only in the path of the temp directory the output is targeting.
The results of this aapt.exe execution are not used during these cycles, I'm working around the problem by replacing aapt.exe with a stub that does nothing but return 0 from main(). I put the stub in place when loading the solution or starting the debugger, and swap it back to the real one during build, and this works fine. Without the stub, VS will lock up for 5 minutes or so when entering this cycle.
I was able to replicate this symptom locally today in a small sample test case and was able to verify a candidate fix from Bug 52967, Comment 23 in that scenario.
I filed a new bug to provide a clean description of the current status of that particular issue. I will tentatively mark this bug as a duplicate for bookkeeping. If the original reporter of this bug (from Comment 0) sees similar performance issues after updating to Xamarin.Build.Download 0.4.3-beta2 or higher, please do reply back with additional details about what might be different in your project compared to the test case on Bug 53817. If possible, please also collect a sample minidump or two from the busy instance of Visual Studio (similar to Bug 53817, Comment 1). You can then set the bug status to REOPENED. Thanks!
(If any other user who is not the original reporter from Comment 0 sees similar performance issues after updating the NuGet package, please file submit a new bug with the details. Thanks!)
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 53817 ***