Bug 5272 - Monotouch does not correctly link referenced DLLs
Summary: Monotouch does not correctly link referenced DLLs
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: iOS
Classification: Xamarin
Component: XI runtime ()
Version: 5.2
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: --- normal
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Sebastien Pouliot
URL:
: 3730 ()
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2012-05-23 07:25 UTC by Ruben Vermeersch
Modified: 2012-08-13 09:58 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description Ruben Vermeersch 2012-05-23 07:25:32 UTC
When trying to integrate GoogleAnalytics in our shared library, I ran into what might be a bug in the monotouch builder.

Our project setup looks something like this:

* Project FlowPilots.Mono
    -> Contains Analytics.cs, a wrapper around Google Analytics
    -> References GoogleAnalytics.dll (a binding that was verified
                                       to work in another project)

* Project WestVlinderen.iOS (the app itself)
    -> References FlowPilots.Mono
    -> Uses Analytics

If I don't reference GoogleAnalytics.dll in WestVlinderen.iOS, the app crashes, due to GANTracker.SharedTracker being null (so basically: the Objective-C method behind it returned null). Looks even worse when ran on the device: https://gist.github.com/7a6a754218d2d28f87ae

When I add a reference to GoogleAnalytics.dll in WestVlinderen.iOS, everything works fine.

This was not expected behavior, nor very convenient. Would it be possible to pick up the reference correctly?
Comment 1 Sebastien Pouliot 2012-05-23 08:14:56 UTC
Ruben, you're right that this is not the expected behaviour (nor optimal). c.c. Jeff

Jeff: the linker, thru the resolver, finds (and includes) references of references. However your [LinkWith] support code, that extract the .a from the .dll, executes before that. Is is possible you're not doing the same ?
Comment 2 Jeffrey Stedfast 2012-05-23 11:54:30 UTC
I'm not sure what your asking...
Comment 3 Sebastien Pouliot 2012-05-23 12:01:21 UTC
Jeff: The above scenario works for .dll that do not include static library (extracted with [LinkWith]).
Comment 4 Jeffrey Stedfast 2012-05-23 12:08:57 UTC
The LinkWith code just extracts the native libraries, though, right? So I'm not understanding why this would matter...
Comment 5 Sebastien Pouliot 2012-05-23 13:13:42 UTC
It's not about what it does, i.e. the process. It's about what's taken as the input of the process - if you don't consider all references you're missing some!

From the description the [LinkWith] support code is processing *only* direct references of the application. IOW it is _not_ considering (indirect) references of (application) references (see original description). Because of this the application ends up without the native .a static library which cause the crash (endless recursion).
Comment 6 Jeffrey Stedfast 2012-05-23 13:43:49 UTC
Oooooohhhhhh, got it.

Yes, that is very possible.
Comment 8 Sebastien Pouliot 2012-05-28 13:34:30 UTC
Fixed in master: d953f6701aeea96276a2aef4a83c3e59b4b1afa5

Needs a bit more testing before backporting to 5.2-series so, until then, adding an extra (otherwise unneeded) reference to the binding assembly on the main project is the workaround.
Comment 9 Jeffrey Stedfast 2012-06-04 15:11:03 UTC
*** Bug 3730 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 10 Sebastien Pouliot 2012-08-13 09:58:39 UTC
The fix will only be in 5.3+