Bug 46702 - Process.MainWindowTitle returns null for each process
Summary: Process.MainWindowTitle returns null for each process
Status: RESOLVED FEATURE
Alias: None
Product: Runtime
Classification: Mono
Component: General ()
Version: 4.6.0 (C8)
Hardware: PC Linux
: --- normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-11-10 11:42 UTC by maxmueller485
Modified: 2017-08-28 15:04 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
Sample program to demonstrate this issue. (285 bytes, application/octet-stream)
2016-11-10 11:42 UTC, maxmueller485
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on GitHub or Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FEATURE

Description maxmueller485 2016-11-10 11:42:14 UTC
Created attachment 18404 [details]
Sample program to demonstrate this issue.

Dear Development Team,

on my current Arch Linux installation I've found an issue while I was working with System.Diagnostics.Process class.
When I try to use the method Process.MainWindowTitle in order to get the window title of processes, it only returns "null".

I have added small sample code in order to better repdroduce this issue.

Since I've googled around a bit, I figured out, that this issue seems to be alread reported in another Bug tracker in 2009 ( http://lists.ximian.com/pipermail/mono-bugs/2009-June/090036.html ), but I was not able to find this issue in Xamarin Bug Tracker.

I also moved my compiled .exe file to a Windows machine and when I run this file there, it works well and I get window titles from each graphical program I run.

Yours Sincerely
Comment 1 Miguel de Icaza [MSFT] 2016-11-28 02:30:12 UTC
This is expected, the concept of the MainWindowTitle which is prevalent on Windows does not exist on Unix, as there is no way to reliably determine this value.