Bug 46047 - Deploy to iPad of universal app having watchkit extension started failing after upgrading Xamarin Studio
Summary: Deploy to iPad of universal app having watchkit extension started failing aft...
Status: RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 44257
Alias: None
Product: iOS
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Tools ()
Version: XI 10.0 (iOS10)
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: --- normal
Target Milestone: Untriaged
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-10-27 16:05 UTC by Stuart Fischer
Modified: 2016-10-28 16:20 UTC (History)
2 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 44257

Description Stuart Fischer 2016-10-27 16:05:33 UTC
This issue looks very similar to Bug #28078.

We have made a universal (supporting iPhone/iPod/iPad) app with a watchkit extension and watchkit app.

We found recently after upgrading Xamarin Studio (version 6.1.1 (build 15)) and Xamarin.iOS (10.0.1.10) to latest release version, that our (jenkings command-line msbuild) release builds would no longer deploy successfully to iPads.

From investigation, we found with the new Xamarin Studio and Xamarin.iOS, that the Info.plist (post-modification by the normal Xamarin/iOS build process) for the watchkit app extension was missing the UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities key with watch-companion entry:

<dict>
        <key>UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities</key>
        <array>
                <string>watch-companion</string>
        </array>
</dict>

If we add the above manually to Info.plist (ie: commit this change to source control) for the watchkit app extension, the built app deploys to iPads successfully. Adding the dictionary entry to the .plist manually is the workaround from bug #28078, and it works again now).

I guess older versions of Xamarin Studio / Xamarin.iOS probably automatically added the UIRequiredDeviceCapabilities entry to the watchkit extension's Info.plist, but that functionality seems missing/broken now.
Comment 1 Stuart Fischer 2016-10-27 16:08:23 UTC
Without the workaround, the error we get at the console when we try to deploy the app to iPad is the same as that listed in the older bug:

"This app contains an app extension that specifies an extension point identifer that is not supported on this version of iOS for the value of the NSExtensionPointIdentifier key in its Info.plist"
Comment 2 Stuart Fischer 2016-10-27 16:17:08 UTC
Version info for machine exhibiting the issue:

=== Xamarin Studio Community ===

Version 6.1.1 (build 15)
Installation UUID: 27ddf78f-5af9-402d-b2fc-e28fdbe94f16
Runtime:
	Mono 4.6.1 (mono-4.6.0-branch-c8sr0/ef43c15) (64-bit)
	GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

	Package version: 406010005

=== NuGet ===

Version: 3.4.3.0

=== Xamarin.Profiler ===

Version: 0.33.2
Location: /Applications/Xamarin Profiler.app/Contents/MacOS/Xamarin Profiler

=== Xamarin.Android ===

Version: 7.0.1.3 (Xamarin Studio Community)
Android SDK: /data/home/sfischer/Library/Developer/Xamarin/android-sdk-macosx
	Supported Android versions:
		2.3    (API level 10)
		4.0.3  (API level 15)
		4.1    (API level 16)
		4.4    (API level 19)
		4.4.87 (API level 20)
		5.0    (API level 21)
		5.1    (API level 22)
		6.0    (API level 23)

SDK Tools Version: 25.1.3
SDK Platform Tools Version: 23.1
SDK Build Tools Version: 23.0.1

Java SDK: /usr
java version "1.8.0_71"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_71-b15)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.71-b15, mixed mode)

Android Designer EPL code available here:
https://github.com/xamarin/AndroidDesigner.EPL

=== Xamarin Android Player ===

Not Installed

=== Apple Developer Tools ===

Xcode 8.0 (11246)
Build 8A218a

=== Xamarin.iOS ===

Version: 10.0.1.10 (Xamarin Studio Community)
Hash: ad1cd42
Branch: cycle8-sr0-xi
Build date: 2016-10-03 15:18:44-0400

=== Xamarin.Mac ===

Not Installed

=== Build Information ===

Release ID: 601010015
Git revision: fa52f02641726146e2589ed86ec4097fbe101888
Build date: 2016-09-22 08:03:02-04
Xamarin addins: 75d65712af93d54dc39ae4c42b21dfa574859fd6
Build lane: monodevelop-lion-cycle8-sr0

=== Operating System ===

Mac OS X 10.12.0
Darwin Thalasa.local 16.0.0 Darwin Kernel Version 16.0.0
    Mon Aug 29 17:56:20 PDT 2016
    root:xnu-3789.1.32~3/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Comment 3 Vincent Dondain [MSFT] 2016-10-28 16:20:56 UTC
Hi, so this bug is a duplicate of #44257.

I've created a pull request against our cycle8 branch so this fix makes it to our stable Xamarin.iOS as soon as possible.

https://github.com/xamarin/xamarin-macios/pull/1064

*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 44257 ***