Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
# Steps to reproduce
1. Install Windows 10 on a fresh VM or machine.
2. Install all Windows 10 updates.
3. Install Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition with Xamarin, UWP, and Windows 8.1 components.
4. Open Visual Studio.
5. File - New Project - Blank Xaml App (Xamarin.Forms Portable)
6. Build the solution.
# Expected behavior
The solution builds.
# Actual behavior
- Error Error retrieving parent for item: No resource found that matches the given name 'android:TextAppearance.Material.Widget.Button.Inverse'. App2.Droid C:\Source\App2\App2\App2.Droid\obj\Debug\resourcecache\8385F064AF2F605F293783F399640DED\res\values-v23\values-v23.xml 6
- Error CS0103 The name 'InitializeComponent' does not exist in the current context App2 C:\Source\App2\App2\App2\App.xaml.cs 14 Active
Build action 'EmbeddedResource' is not supported by one or more of the project's targets. App2 C:\Source\App2\App2\App2\App.xaml
- Warning Unexpected error - Please file a bug report at http://bugzilla.xamarin.com. Reason: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load assembly 'App2, Version=, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken='. Perhaps it doesn't exist in the Mono for Android profile? App2.Droid
- Warning IDE0006 Error encountered while loading the project. Some project features, such as full solution analysis for the failed project and projects that depend on it, have been disabled. App2.Droid 1 Active
# Supplemental info (logs, images, videos)
I have gotten the same results doing this twice: once on a LattePanda and a MacbookPro (running in a Parallels Windows 10 VM), with everything freshly installed starting with Windows. The "File - New Project" experience for these templates should "just work" out of the box.
# Test environment (full version information)
- Windows 10 1607
- Visual Studio 2015 Community Edition - downloaded latest from Microsoft Sept 29, 2016
I created a Windows 10 Anniversary Edition VM, updated it, and then installed VS 2015 Update 3 with the components you listed above. After creating the solution, I let it build, and here were the results:
Currently, installing Xamarin through Visual Studio is pulling an older build than what is in stable. We plan to update this at the next opportunity. For now, you can update via "Tools > Options > Xamarin > Other".
After updating, I am not encountering any errors. Please try updating and let us know if it is still broken for you.
This should be already fixed.