Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
# Steps to reproduce
In Visual Studio 2015 make a new Xamarin.Forms PCL project
# Expected behavior
Projects within the solution for all platforms
# Actual behavior
Empty folder for the droid project - no droid project in the solution.
# Supplemental info (logs, images, videos)
Error message displayed: A problem was encountered creating the sub project 'myprojectname.Droid'. Attempted to access a missing method.
# Test environment (full version information)
Win10x64 professional. 24gig Ram. Quad Core. SSD with plenty of space. VS2015pro. Everything fully up to date.
Created attachment 17486 [details]
Error screen shot
Created attachment 17488 [details]
After fully update of everything - new error
I ran the Android SDK manager for updates, including all of Android 7 everything, all the updates it recommended etc.
I then downloaded the latest VS2015update3enterprise .iso from MSDN and ran that, making sure I updated the various updated/deprecated packages etc.
After all those updates trying to make a new XAML App (Portable) it still fails but with a new message: "A prolem was encountered creating the sub project 'app3.droid'. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference."
This sounds like it may potentially be an MEF ComponentCache issue. Could you try deleting the contents of the ComponentModelCache folder located at %appdata%\Local\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0 please?
Eventually, after running every possible update, and installing the ClearMEFcasche vsix extention I was able to get things working again.
So I concur this was probably MEF.
The "preparing to upgrade" article by James Montemagno should have been the first list supplied by Xamarin to users to ease the pain of upgrading.
Additionally, all the requirements laid out in that article should have been part of the installer criteria such that the upgrade wouldn't run until all the requirements were met.
This issue can be marked resolved.
I've put together a build on top of current stable (220.127.116.115) that contains a proper fix for this issue: http://xvs.xamarin.com/patcheddrops/Xamarin.VisualStudio_18.104.22.1688.msi
It will also be included in all future releases.
Please do reopen if you see this happen again in the future.
Thanks for reporting the issue!
I have checked this issue with latest master build and observed that it is working fine. Here is the screencast for the same: http://www.screencast.com/t/4hIosJsdIv
Environment info: https://gist.github.com/NaqeebAnsari/9d5ca86f3e54b730f4bb2d132320db46
Hence closing this issue.
Fixed in version 22.214.171.1243 (cycle8)
Author: Daniel Cazzulino
Commit: b261ab900a80f07dbf75c3b15125f5423f2e199b (xamarin/XamarinVS)