Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
User has been unable to connect to his Mac Build Host from XVS (using C8 4.2.0 bits) after it had previously been working. The first issue with error messages related to broker initialization timeout cropped up in 220.127.116.11 (stable build) and was not resolved after updating to the C8 beta build.
The user is able to successfully connect to the Mac using SSH. This bug is intended to track the information passing through an internal "Unable to connect Visual Studio to Mac Build machine" email and is being left public so that others in that thread may be able to view.
Mauro has already started analyzing this issue and has requested diagnostic logs (attached privately).
## Additional Information
We've asked the user to ensure the following:
- No XMA Broker zombie processes are running on the Mac at the time of connect ("PS -A | grep XMA" command on the Mac)
- No sshd orphan processes are running on the Mac at the time to connect ("PS -A | grep sshd" command on the Mac)
- Kill any Broker or sshd orphan processes (if running) using "kill -9 <pid>"
Some additional workarounds were suggested while this is being looked into:
- With VS opened, forget and re add the Mac that you want to connect to (from the XMA Server selection dialog)
- Clean the SSH keys that VS uses to connect to the Mac (delete id_rsa, id_rsa.pub and passphrase.key files from %LOCALAPPDATA%\Xamarin\MonoTouch). This will force a credentials reentering and will generate a new SSH key pair.
- Try to run the Broker by hand with mono, to verify the initialization and any other error:
- In the terminal, cd to: ~/Library/Caches/Xamarin/XMA/Broker/<version>
- Execute: mono Broker.exe 55555 (55555 is just the port. You can put whatever you want there)
- See the stdout and verify if it's initialized or thrown any error (you can also get the logs from ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin-xx)
- Try to run the Broker with launchctl, to verify the initialization and any other error:
- In the terminal, cd to: /tmp/com.xamarin.**.broker
- Execute: launchctl load -S Aqua app.plist
- Verify that a Broker is running (do a "PS -A | grep XMA")
- If not, check the logs at ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin-xx and also output.log at the current location (/tmp/com.xamarin.**.broker)
- Switch to alpha or beta channels to compare the behavior and see if the error persists (you can do some of the mentioned cleanup before switching)
Some fixes and improvements were made around the issue in both master and cycle8 branches.
## Update for any users watching this bug
The candidate fixes from Comment 2 are included in the latest Beta channel  version XamarinVS 18.104.22.1685 from September 8.