Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
# Steps to reproduce
Run debug in VS 2015 on an Android device. Put a breakpoint in the code.
# Expected behavior
Application continues and the debug point gets hit.
# Actual behavior
Visual Studio bombs out.
# Supplemental info (logs, images, videos)
I have a screenshot but dont know how to put it in this text field.
# Test environment (full version information)
Any Xamarin above 188.8.131.52, Android, VS 2015.
Created attachment 17129 [details]
Debug error window.
Created attachment 17136 [details]
Replication attempt: successfully hitting a breakpoint on Android
Please provide the following additional standard bug report information (see also https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1910343):
1. Can you replicate the problem with a new "Visual C# > Android > Blank App (Android)" project where you set a breakpoint on one of the lines in `MainActivity.OnCreate()`?
If not, then if possible it is highly recommended to zip up a project that demonstrates the problem and attach it to the bug report (optionally privately so that it is only visible to the Xamarin team). See notes 5 and 6 on  for additional hints about minimizing samples.
2. Does the problem occur on _every_ attempt to hit a break point, or does hitting a break point occasionally succeed?
3. Please provide your full version information:
(a) Copy and paste your detailed version information from "Help > About Microsoft Visual Studio > Copy Info". You can paste it either directly into a comment or into a text file attachment.
(b) Please also provide your operating system version.
(c) Please also provide the model and version information of your Android test device(s).
(d) Please also provide the active Java JDK version that is selected under "Tools > Options > Xamarin > Android Settings > Java Development Kit Location".
(d) Considering that the error message mentions "out of memory", please also provide the system specifications of your Windows machine, with special attention to the installed memory and perhaps also the current virtual memory settings.
4. Please replicate the error one more time and then collect the following log files and attach them back on the bug report:
- The IDE log files from Visual Studio: "Help > Xamarin > Zip Logs"
- The "Android adb logcat logs" from the device, as described on https://kb.xamarin.com/customer/portal/articles/1675684#adb-logcat.
5. If you get a chance, please also copy and paste the text from the error dialog as plain text. You can paste it either directly into a comment or into a text file attachment. Hint: In Windows if you type Control-C while the error dialog selected, that will in most cases copy the text of the dialog to the clipboard.
Thanks in advance!
To clarify, the attached screen capture in Comment 3 shows my attempt to replicate this behavior in my local installation of the current Xamarin Cycle 8 Beta versions on a Moto G 3 (Android 6.0). The debugger paused on the breakpoint without error and allowed me to step through the application as expected.
I will check it out more tomorrow but to fill in some of the questions, this happens on 2 phones, 5 different tablets ranging from Samsungs, lenovos(tablet and phone), a chuwi hi12, and numerous others. I can provide each model number but it's safe to say it's not the hardware. This happens on 6 different dev machines from Intel to one amd from 8 to 16gigs of ram. I can try a blank application but like the uwp issues, ios namespace resetting, profiler crashing, android performance issues, android security errors, amongst others, this seems like a large application and project problem that I won't be able to compact down. I would be willing to do a remote sit down and see if there is another way I can help get some of these problems fixed but especially this one?
Sorry for spelling errors as this was typed on my phone.
Confirmed this is working in the latest build. Thanks.
Ill mark this is fixed.