Bug 43543 - "Start Without Debugging" launches MAC-iOS-Simulator instead of Windows-iOS-Simulator
Summary: "Start Without Debugging" launches MAC-iOS-Simulator instead of Windows-iOS-S...
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Visual Studio Extensions
Classification: Xamarin
Component: iOS ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Windows
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: 4.3.0 (C9)
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
: 46558 ()
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-08-19 16:41 UTC by DeeKay
Modified: 2016-11-18 07:50 UTC (History)
9 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED FIXED

Description DeeKay 2016-08-19 16:41:25 UTC
Clicking Debug -> Start Without Debugging in Visual Studio launches the iOS Simulator on the MAC instead of using the one on Windows.
Comment 1 DeeKay 2016-08-19 16:43:53 UTC
Sorry, my mistake. It launches both, on the MAC and on Windows. The application is then shown within the windows one. So the Bug obviously is the unnecessary launch of the MAC-iOS-Simulator.
Comment 3 Alan McGovern 2016-11-02 17:45:31 UTC
Launching both simulators at the same time, using the same simulated device, creates a race condition which can break things randomly.
Comment 4 Alan McGovern 2016-11-08 13:22:25 UTC
*** Bug 46558 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 5 Alan McGovern 2016-11-08 13:23:26 UTC
This is a critical bug to fix for the connect release due to the inherent race conditions when launching *the same device* in both Apples simulator and our own.
Comment 6 Joaquin Jares 2016-11-08 13:31:18 UTC
@DeeKay I have had reports of this behavior before but could never properly repro. If you have logs (Mac logs, I mean) for starting up when this happens it would be super helpful.

@Alan I'm making this not a blocker issue since we never saw it actually producing any odd behavior other than a simulator opening in the Mac (which I think may be an effect of running Show Simulator, and not really a proper startup behavior).
Comment 7 Joaquin Jares 2016-11-08 13:45:16 UTC
Found the culprit and confirmed my theory. Fixing now.
Comment 8 Joaquin Jares 2016-11-08 14:04:24 UTC
So, the bug is pretty minor but it looks very bad. We put the simulator window on top (in the Mac) when running an app and this was happening even if we didn't run on the Mac but on Windows. This has now been fixed and will be available in the next release. Closing for QA verification.
Comment 9 Alan McGovern 2016-11-08 15:11:57 UTC
if the simulated device in mac was the same as the simulated device we were starting on windows, it would've crashed one of the simulators.

Looks like we were getting lucky in that we were just starting the sim on mac and not forcing it to the same simulated device - that greatly reduces the odds of the same device being used.

Thanks for the fix!
Comment 10 Sachin Saini 2016-11-18 07:50:35 UTC
I have check this issue with latest master(Xamarin.VisualStudio_99.1.0.110_618557565a762b6ae698d15e5d3b57e606b73f36 +Xamarin.Simulator.Installer.1.0.0.19) and cycle9 (Xamarin.Simulator.Installer.1.0.0.13_f045c2484442d4808ca936c09dc6c0a2c532bd3f+Xamarin.VisualStudio_4.3.0.296_871330e54f5ded0b17ad5212a32ed989c9ca3d72) builds and observed that its working fine now.

Hence I am verifying this issue.

Thanks!