Bug 40020 - Windows build failing
Summary: Windows build failing
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Runtime
Classification: Mono
Component: General ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Windows
: --- normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Alexander Köplinger [MSFT]
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-03-31 15:01 UTC by bearishsun
Modified: 2016-09-26 13:50 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on GitHub or Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description bearishsun 2016-03-31 15:01:36 UTC
Hi guys. I noticed your Windows build is broken (https://ci.appveyor.com/project/ajlennon/mono-817). This is likely due to MinGW packages being renamed in Cygwin. If you are using command line to update/install Cygwin (like I am) entirety of MinGW packages will be not be installed (it just silently fails). Once that happens the build fails with the exact error it is failing right now (direct.h header is missing), because it's using the wrong compiler.

The fix is to go through the Cygwin setup again and use "mingw64-i686" packages (as opposed to "mingw" packages that no longer exist). Then during configuration use "./configure --host=i686-w64-mingw32". I suggest also updating the install/compile docs to note the different configure option.
Comment 1 Alexander Köplinger [MSFT] 2016-09-26 13:50:19 UTC
We have dedicated Windows bots on our Jenkins CI now, 
so I've removed the appveyor config from the repo:
https://jenkins.mono-project.com/job/z/label=w32/
https://jenkins.mono-project.com/job/z/label=w64/

The build instructions on the Mono website were already updated to mention the mingw64 packages. Thanks!