Bug 38457 - [Master][Featutre] mono-symbolicate with Xamarin.Android is not working properly.
Summary: [Master][Featutre] mono-symbolicate with Xamarin.Android is not working prope...
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Android
Classification: Xamarin
Component: General ()
Version: 6.0.99
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: 6.1 (C7)
Assignee: dean.ellis
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-02-04 15:22 UTC by Rajneesh Kumar
Modified: 2016-03-11 13:43 UTC (History)
4 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
Demo Archive (2.22 MB, application/zip)
2016-02-05 11:15 UTC, dean.ellis
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED FIXED

Comment 1 dean.ellis 2016-02-04 17:08:31 UTC
Which version of the Mono SDK are you running? I have tried to repo using the test project on my machine and it works fine?
Comment 2 Rajneesh Kumar 2016-02-05 06:57:26 UTC
Hi Dean I have checked this issue with the following MonoFramework-MDK-4.3.2.394.macos10.xamarin.universal_162dd58515e90816987c9caaf51c381f9ad99d61

and I am still getting same behavior.
Please have a look on the screencast: http://www.screencast.com/t/knrokS4vot

So please let me know that what I am missing to check this feature ?

Thanks..!

Environment Info: https://gist.github.com/Rajneesh360Logica/5d05e4b7102c684c0623
Comment 3 dean.ellis 2016-02-05 11:14:52 UTC
Hi 

I have just installed Mono JIT compiler version 4.3.1 (mono-4.3.1-branch/6d83535 Thu Jan 21 23:54:14 EST 2016)

and it works perfectly on the test that I have I am attaching the zip file containing both the archive and the error.txt can you see if it works on your machine
Comment 4 dean.ellis 2016-02-05 11:15:35 UTC
Created attachment 14913 [details]
Demo Archive
Comment 5 dean.ellis 2016-02-05 11:18:04 UTC
extract the zip you should have the following directory structure


 /archive/   
 /error.txt

archive is a directory which contains the dll's etc , error.txt is just a text file.

go to the extracted directory and type

mono-symbolicate archive/ttttttttt.dll error.txt

you should see the filename is replaced.
Comment 6 dean.ellis 2016-02-05 11:50:03 UTC
I have tested with 4.3.3 (master/6bca78d) as well and it works
Comment 7 Peter Collins 2016-02-05 15:57:35 UTC
Assemblies/output that reproduces this issue:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8fnuxj8mozpfexk/Bug38457.zip?dl=0&preview=Bug38457.zip
Comment 8 dean.ellis 2016-02-05 16:00:59 UTC
I have replicated that the first line on the Exception is NOT being correctly filled in when it should be. Not sure if this is a problem with out archive packaging or if its a mono-symbolicate issue.
Comment 9 dean.ellis 2016-02-08 11:10:21 UTC
I think I figured out why its not fixing up the lines for the main app.. there is not .mdb file for the main assembly in the archive (or the intermediate directory).

Need to figure out why the mdb is NOT being generated
Comment 10 dean.ellis 2016-02-09 11:20:34 UTC
Its because for release builds we default DebugSymbols=False and DebugType=''

Setting those vales for 

DebugSymbols=True
DebugType="PdbOnly"

for a release build will result in the mdb being generated.
Comment 11 dean.ellis 2016-02-29 16:21:26 UTC
The system was changed in monodroid/master/83a4cd53 as as result it should be working now.
Comment 12 Abhishek 2016-03-11 13:43:01 UTC
I have checked this issue with the latest master build:
MonoFramework-MDK-4.4.0.40.macos10.xamarin.universal_f8474c43504a049923e864eb71cbe98c69e9cdee
mono-android-6.1.99-54_a6e077d7eb9870c47473d3d29689a9c7afdd579e
XamarinStudio-6.1.0.243_84858795957852973570cee034555ac967007f24

I have added the following on .csproj file.
<AndroidManagedSymbols>True</AndroidManagedSymbols> 
<DebugSymbols>True</DebugSymbols>
<DebugType>PdbOnly</DebugType>

Now this issue is working fine.

Application Output: https://gist.github.com/Abhishekk360/48c31ca547c1316e8564
Build Output: https://gist.github.com/Abhishekk360/c8b46257d4568162d999
Error Output: https://gist.github.com/Abhishekk360/fbc1a7f5f8791a3c6709
Symbolicate log: https://gist.github.com/Abhishekk360/aa395830e16c385b04e5

Hence closing this issue.

Thanks!