Bug 37919 - Cannot launch Xamarin.Mac applications from paths that contain non-ASCII characters
Summary: Cannot launch Xamarin.Mac applications from paths that contain non-ASCII char...
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin.Mac
Classification: Desktop
Component: Other ()
Version: 2.4.1 (C6SR1)
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: --- normal
Target Milestone: 2.8.0 (C7)
Assignee: Chris Hamons
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2016-01-22 17:08 UTC by bugzilla
Modified: 2016-06-02 11:49 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED FIXED

Description bugzilla 2016-01-22 17:08:51 UTC
When any part of the path that contains a Xamarin.Mac application contains non-ASCII characters, the application will simply not start.  I've tried it with a number of applications, including a new Xamarin.Mac project that does nothing except display an empty window.  The error looks like this when you try to run the app:

    Could not launch TestApplication

    Could not find the executable 'TestApplication.exe'
    Full path: /Users/andrew/Desktop/pinÃÉata/TestApplication.app/Contents/MonoBundle/TestApplication.exe

Where that garbage folder name was supposed to be "piñata".

This is not a big deal for development, but for end-users who have a non-ASCII character in their username, it's a showstopper.
Comment 1 Rolf Bjarne Kvinge [MSFT] 2016-01-22 18:07:36 UTC
Fixed.

maccore/master: 3b969da5e33a922c87dce41f511797891eeb2671
Comment 2 Saurabh 2016-06-02 11:49:22 UTC
I have checked this Issue. I am not seeing any Issue when deployed mac sample contain non ASCII characters in path.

Build Output: https://gist.github.com/saurabh360/e3084072f658690ef999aec661e631f1
Application Output: https://gist.github.com/saurabh360/7c3a9220247f6ccac0b13e4c3443390b 

Environment details:
https://gist.github.com/fc0f95d98b5fd5653db9688d4e04f361