Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
A brand-new, blank Xamarin Forms project created by Visual Studio will not build due to errors coming from the Android project it contains.
I did not specify a version of the Visual Studio Extensions from the Bugzilla dropdown, because I have no idea how to locate the version. However, my setup is as follows:
* I am running Windows 10 Pro
* I am using Visual Studio 2015
* VS claims to have the "Get Xamarin" 126.96.36.199 tools installed.
* I have installed Xamarin Studio version 5.9.7.
* There is a "Xamarin" extension (version 3.0?), listed under "tools", in the Visual Studio gallery that is *NOT* installed. Visual Studio is not recommending any Xamarin updates to me...so I don't know what this particular extension is for.
I filed this bug as a VS extension bug, because the same blank solution builds successfully in Xamarin Studio.
Steps to reproduce:
1) In Visual Studio 2015 create a brand-new Xamarin Forms project by using the VS templates listed under "Mobile Apps". Specifically, choose to create "Blank App (Xamarin Forms Shared)" with NET framework 4.6. Visual Studio creates the new solution and projects from the template.
2) Request the blank solution to build.
As a result of step 2, about a dozen errors will emerge that all say "System.Runtime" is missing. All the errors are associated with the Android project. Here is one sample:
Error CS0012 The type 'Object' is defined in an assembly that is not referenced. You must add a reference to assembly 'System.Runtime, Version=188.8.131.52, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a'. BlankBuild.Droid c:\users\costcopc\documents\visual studio 2015\Projects\BlankBuild\BlankBuild\BlankBuild\App.cs 19
This bug is almost the same as 27469. Just like defect 27469, I can work around this defect by manually adding a reference to System.Runtime shown here:
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\Framework\MonoAndroid\v1.0\Facades\System.Runtime.dll
Unlike bug 27469, this problem does not require adding reference to PCL libraries.
This issue should be already fixed on current Beta (XVS 4.1.x) builds.
I'm marking it as resolved, but please feel free to reopen it if needed.