Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Cannot debug on LG G3 - 5.0 Lollipop with VS 2013
## Sample app: https://drive.google.com/a/xamarin.com/file/d/0B_5pvct1AELzQzU0R0NWcDJJRk0/view?usp=sharing
## Device Info
LG-G3 (LGE-LG-D722) specs: http://specdevice.com/showspec.php?id=8154-1d7f-ffff-ffff90fc3feb
##Steps to reproduce
Xamarin support: Unable to reproduce using G4 (device), Nexus 4 & Nexus 5 emulators running Lollipop.
Debug fails in VS on all projects for customer.
Adb logcat logs: https://drive.google.com/a/xamarin.com/file/d/0B_5pvct1AELzdC1fa3hGSzdFaGs/view?usp=sharing
Debug logs: https://drive.google.com/a/xamarin.com/file/d/0B_5pvct1AELzN1JvWlczOXFVT2M/view?usp=sharing
## Tried so far (verified by customer)
1. In Build > Configuration Manager, both “Build” and “Deploy” are checked for LG G3
2. "Developer Options" are enabled
3. “USB Debugging” is enabled under “Developer Options"
4. OEM Driver installed: http://developer.android.com/tools/extras/oem-usb.html or http://androidxda.com/download-lg-usb-drivers
5. Google ADB drivers for the SDK from “extras” installed
6. Followed every step of device provisioning: https://developer.xamarin.com/guides/android/getting_started/installation/set_up_device_for_development/
7. Tried using different USB cable
8. Screen does not turn off or lock at any time during the debug process
9. Debugging in Xamarin Studio works
10. Other devices of same API level are able to debug
11. Customer has not tried to deploy to an emulator of same API
## Customer Version info
Microsoft Visual Studio Ultimate 2013
Version 12.0.31101.00 Update 4
Microsoft .NET Framework
Installed Version: Ultimate
Architecture and Modeling Tools 06181-004-0451047-02366
Microsoft Architecture and Modeling Tools
UML® and Unified Modeling Language™ are trademarks or registered trademarks of the Object Management Group, Inc. in the United States and other countries.
LightSwitch for Visual Studio 2013 06181-004-0451047-02366
Microsoft LightSwitch for Visual Studio 2013
Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013 06181-004-0451047-02366
Microsoft Team Explorer for Visual Studio 2013
Visual Basic 2013 06181-004-0451047-02366
Microsoft Visual Basic 2013
Visual C# 2013 06181-004-0451047-02366
Microsoft Visual C# 2013
Visual C++ 2013 06181-004-0451047-02366
Microsoft Visual C++ 2013
Visual F# 2013 06181-004-0451047-02366
Microsoft Visual F# 2013
Visual Studio 2013 Code Analysis Spell Checker 06181-004-0451047-02366
Microsoft® Visual Studio® 2013 Code Analysis Spell Checker
Portions of International CorrectSpell™ spelling correction system © 1993 by Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Third Edition Copyright © 1992 Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V. All rights reserved.
Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio Package 1.0
Application Insights Tools for Visual Studio
ASP.NET and Web Tools 12.4.51016.0
Microsoft Web Developer Tools contains the following components:
Support for creating and opening ASP.NET web projects
Browser Link: A communication channel between Visual Studio and browsers
Page Inspector: Inspection tool for ASP.NET web projects
Scaffolding: A framework for building and running code generators
Server Explorer extensions for Microsoft Azure Websites
Web publishing: Extensions for publishing ASP.NET web projects to hosting providers, on-premises servers, or Microsoft Azure
ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2012.2 4.1.21001.0
For additional information, visit http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=309563
ASP.NET Web Frameworks and Tools 2013 5.2.21010.0
For additional information, visit http://www.asp.net/
Common Azure Tools 1.3
Provides common services for use by Azure Mobile Services and Microsoft Azure Tools.
Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools 1.3
Microsoft Azure Mobile Services Tools
NuGet Package Manager 2.8.50926.663
NuGet Package Manager in Visual Studio. For more information about NuGet, visit http://docs.nuget.org/.
Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2013 ENU 12.0.30626
Microsoft Office Developer Tools for Visual Studio 2013 ENU
PowerShell Tools 1.3
Provides file classification services using PowerShell
PreEmptive Analytics Visualizer 1.2
Microsoft Visual Studio extension to visualize aggregated summaries from the PreEmptive Analytics product.
SQL Server Data Tools 12.0.41012.0
Microsoft SQL Server Data Tools
Windows Phone 8.1 SDK Integration 1.0
This package integrates the tools for the Windows Phone 8.1 SDK into the menus and controls of Visual Studio.
Workflow Manager Tools 1.0 1.0
This package contains the necessary Visual Studio integration components for Workflow Manager.
Xamarin 3.11.666.0 (ebae43a)
Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS and Xamarin.Android.
Xamarin.Android 22.214.171.124 (5f55a9ef61c11b6ce0890bc91e4c71b1b92be214)
Visual Studio plugin to enable development for Xamarin.Android.
Xamarin.Forms Intellisense 1.0
Provides intellisense for Xamarin.Forms in the XML editor.
Xamarin.iOS 126.96.36.199 (67b390d0d1bd741582cf7b7fd3ffea08583a3f83)
Visual Studio extension to enable development for Xamarin.iOS.
Xamarin.iOS Unified Migration 1.0
Automated migration for Xamarin iOS Classic projects to Unified
Early preview of Xamarin Test Cloud integration
Git Extensions is a graphical interface for Git
For more information about Git Extensions, see the Git Extensions website at
Copyright © 2008-2014 Henk Westhuis
Clarification: Customer "debug logs" may actually be build output.
I was able to get my hands on a LG G3 (D722) running Android 5.0.2 to test with and I could reproduce the issue described using the sample project in the description.
- Using VS2013 w/ stable version of Xamarin, the app will launch and appear on the screen. However, the debugger does not attach and the session and app quit after a couple of seconds. Issue also happens with VS2015, albeit the app closes almost immediately instead of a couple of seconds later.
- The issue still occurs even with the latest C6RC0 build. Downgraded to Xam.VS 3.9.547 and issue is also present.
- Initially, the device I had was on Android 4.4.2. Debugging worked successfully before the device was updated to 5.0.2.
- I am also able to reproduce the issue with other Android projects.
- Debugging works successfully when using Android Studio.
- Debugging partially works in Xamarin Studio on Windows. The app launches and doesn’t quit after a couple of seconds, but the debugger seems to never connect and therefore breakpoints are not hit. (Might be separate, but related issue)
- Choosing “Microsoft” under Debugging Options in Visual Studio allows the app to launch without quitting suddenly.
- The app can also always be opened and ran fine from VS when debugger is trying to attach.
- Build log: https://gist.github.com/jimmgarrido/424959cd7d55027ff30d
- Logcat: https://gist.github.com/jimmgarrido/b56065926504b3c8449e
- Debugger output is unavailable since the debugger never attaches
I have a G3 with Android 5.01 and a G4 with Android 5.1. The G3 debugs just fine while the G4 does not. I have a bug report (31855) for the G4 at https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=31855. Contact me if you want more info.
*** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 31855 ***