Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Overview: Our app that runs fine on iOS8 crashes on iOS9. We use Xamarin Insights, which I upgraded to 22.214.171.124 and installed the patch detailed in https://releases.xamarin.com/ios9-elcapitan-preview-technical-bulletin/ and this allows the app to start and code to actually run, however the crash below occurs.
This happened with iOS9 Beta 1 and Beta 2 that I just updated to.
Steps to Reproduce: It sounds - from https://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/43129/all-xamarin-apps-crash-on-ios-9#latest - that our app is doing something differently from others. Last week we had James Clancey over for a JetPack session, so he actually has a copy of our codebase if that helps you track down the problem internally.
The crash exception is as follows - for some reason the framework is looking for a ctor for our UIApplication subclass that has an IntPtr exception. It was suggested to add [Preserve] to the class, but that didn't help.
[Note that I have ********'d out our app name below]
Failed to marshal the Objective-C object 0x1345fb0a0 (type: ********Application). Could not find an existing managed instance for this object, nor was it possible to create a new managed instance (because the type '********.iOS.********Application' does not have a constructor that takes one IntPtr argument).
at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.MissingCtor (IntPtr ptr, IntPtr klass, System.Type type, MissingCtorResolution resolution) [0x00046] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1899/33f69fd0/source/maccore/src/ObjCRuntime/Runtime.cs:663
at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.ConstructNSObject[UIApplication] (IntPtr ptr, System.Type type, MissingCtorResolution missingCtorResolution) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at ObjCRuntime.Runtime.GetNSObject[UIApplication] (IntPtr ptr) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at UIKit.UIApplication.get_SharedApplication () [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1899/33f69fd0/source/maccore/src/build/ios/native/UIKit/UIApplication.g.cs:934
at Xamarin.InsightsCore.UIObserver.ObserveStoryBoardUI () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Foundation.NSAsyncActionDispatcher.Apply () [0x00000] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1899/33f69fd0/source/maccore/src/Foundation/NSAction.cs:164
at (wrapper managed-to-native) UIKit.UIApplication:UIApplicationMain (int,string,intptr,intptr)
at UIKit.UIApplication.Main (System.String args, IntPtr principal, IntPtr delegate) [0x00005] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1899/33f69fd0/source/maccore/src/UIKit/UIApplication.cs:63
at UIKit.UIApplication.Main (System.String args, System.String principalClassName, System.String delegateClassName) [0x0001c] in /Users/builder/data/lanes/1899/33f69fd0/source/maccore/src/UIKit/UIApplication.cs:46
at ********.iOS.Application.Main (System.String args) [0x00043] in /Users/********/Main.cs:26
I tried adding an IntPtr ctor as that was also a suggestion in the forums and added a breakpoint, but this didn't get hit, instead got this assertion:
*** Assertion failure in -[********Application init], /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/UIKit/UIKit-3480.5/UIApplication.m:1025
Expected Results: Well, I hoped it would run like on iOS8 :)
=== Xamarin Studio ===
Version 5.9.4 (build 5)
Installation UUID: c510039c-2cfa-4872-af8c-4c09ce0faccf
Mono 4.0.2 ((detached/198235d)
GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)
Package version: 400020004
=== Apple Developer Tools ===
Xcode 6.3.2 (7718)
=== Xamarin.iOS ===
Version: 126.96.36.199 (Enterprise Edition)
Build date: 2015-06-10 21:13:20-0400
=== Build Information ===
Release ID: 509040005
Git revision: 8010a90f6e246b32364e3fb46ef2c9d1be9c9a2b
Build date: 2015-06-08 16:52:06-04
Xamarin addins: 7e93e9c3503f28770f23ce1b7eafd829919f18e8
=== Operating System ===
Mac OS X 10.10.4
Darwin Kernel Version 14.4.0
Tue May 5 14:17:52 PDT 2015
Please let me know if you need more info to track this down.
I didn't have that latest patch at https://releases.xamarin.com/ios-hotfix-for-ios-9-preview-xcode-6/ as it was released after I submitted this bug - I had the previous preview version installed. I agree that with that latest patch installed it all works.
Thanks everyone for the fix!
As per comment 2, the issue is resolved for Srobbins with the installation of latest patch.
Hence closing this issue.