Bug 29847 - Crashes on Chromium launch
Summary: Crashes on Chromium launch
Status: RESOLVED NOT_REPRODUCIBLE
Alias: None
Product: Xamarin Android Player
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Player ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Windows
: --- normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
: 30691 ()
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-05-07 12:46 UTC by Colin Phillips
Modified: 2015-07-31 10:42 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
log (54.65 KB, application/x-zip-compressed)
2015-05-07 12:46 UTC, Colin Phillips
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED NOT_REPRODUCIBLE

Description Colin Phillips 2015-05-07 12:46:29 UTC
Created attachment 11120 [details]
log

SIGSEV error every time the webview control loads a URL or HTML string, thought it was a code issue but after further investigation - resetting the android player image and attempting to open up the browser produces the same problem with 'Unfortunately, Browser has stopped.' once the URL is attempted to be loaded (defaults to google.com)
Comment 1 Will Schaller 2015-05-13 09:05:23 UTC
Hi Colin, is this happening just with the Lollipop devices?
Comment 2 Colin Phillips 2015-06-02 13:20:23 UTC
This is happening with the Nexus 7 (KitKat) Android 4.4.2, API 19 and Nexus 5 (Lollipop) Android 5.1.0, API 21 that I have installed. I have not tried additional devices since both unique devices were not working I have since discontinued use of Xamarin Android Player altogether
Comment 3 Mark Simpson 2015-07-20 11:36:32 UTC
*** Bug 30691 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
Comment 4 Ram Chandra 2015-07-29 12:21:05 UTC
I can't reproduce this, we may have to see if a developer can figure out what's going on from the logs. If you have a chance, it might also be helpful to completely clean your XAP installation and reinstall the latest XAP build.

Please follow following steps to completely clean your XAP installation:

1) Uninstall previous versions of XAP.
2) Open up VirtualBox and remove all of the XAP devices, choose to delete
files.
3) Open the VirtualBox Virtual Media Manager and ensure there are no data.vdi,
system.vdi or sdcard.vdi files remaining. If there are, release and remove
them.
4) Delete C:\ProgramData\AndroidPlayer

Thanks
Comment 6 PJ 2015-07-30 17:40:15 UTC
Ram I think Will won't have that, but Colin (submitter) might. It sounds like in comment 2 that Colin may have stopped using XAP, but we would need more information from him in order to proceed.
Comment 7 Ram Chandra 2015-07-31 06:08:32 UTC
Hi Colin,  If it is possible could you please provide the Chromium APK file which you were using in your XAP? So that we can reproduce this issue at our end.

Thanks
Comment 8 Colin Phillips 2015-07-31 10:29:40 UTC
I uninstalled everything XAP related since it wasn't working whatsoever.
Would it remain somewhere? If uninstalling it removed what you needed, I no longer have it.
Comment 9 PJ 2015-07-31 10:42:51 UTC
It wouldn't remain as part of the XAP bits, as Chromium is third-party app that (we're assuming) you installed from somewhere else. From what we've seen, there is no compatible Chromium that would work with XAP, so we're a bit stumped as to exactly what the steps were you were taking at the time. I found a stack overflow post [1] also reporting crashes using Chromium on x86 emulators, I'm thinking that's what was happening. 

I think it might be safe to mark this one as RESOLVED NOT_REPRODUCIBLE, but if you do end up recalling the scenario we'd love to take another look.

Also, XAP has gotten significant improvements over the last few months, I recommend giving it another shot! 

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/20757549/chrome-on-android-emulator-x86