Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report for Bug 2828 on
GitHub or Developer Community if you have new
information to add and do not yet see a matching new report.
If the latest results still closely match this report, you can use the
In special cases on GitHub you might also want the comments:
GitHub Markdown with public comments
Created attachment 1155 [details]
A test case
Steps to reproduce:
1. Have a printer connected to a Windows network;
2. Add the printer to a mac (through System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> etc.) - this will require a Windows user with his password to be entered once;
3. Run the attached sample with a Mono between 2.10.5 and 2.10.6 included.
An empty page is immediately printed.
The document stays indefinitely in the printing queue with a text "On hold (authentication required)". To print, each time the document must be selected in the printing queue, then clicking "Resume" will show a dialogue for the user and password used when adding the Windows printer and after confirmation printing will complete.
As hinted above, version 2.10.4 and less (excluding, of course, versions that do not work at all on Lion) work fine. I cannot check 2.10.8 because there PrintDocument.Print causes a crash, as described in http://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=2734.
Currently Windows.Forms on the Mac has no maintainer.
We encourage the community to submit patches to it.
It's not a Windows Forms application, it's a GTK# one but which uses System.Drawing.Printing. Sorry for not clearing that up initially.
We consider System.Drawing part of the Winforms stack, so we really hope someone in the community looks for the fix and provides a patch.
Are there alternatives for printing on the mac then? Or do you have a guess where could the problem be? This is a blocker issue for us.
There are a few options:
* Engage a consultant that can develop/fix the existing code base to ensure that it works and submit the code to us for distribution.
* Use MonoMac's APIs to print.
* Generate a PDF file, and then use Applescript to load the PDF into the Preview program and instruct it to print it.