Bug 25794 - XamlParseException when running app after changing xaml
Summary: XamlParseException when running app after changing xaml
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Forms
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Forms ()
Version: 1.3.0
Hardware: Macintosh Mac OS
: High major
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2015-01-07 13:43 UTC by Mike Bluestein
Modified: 2015-06-02 11:32 UTC (History)
6 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
test case (3.55 MB, application/zip)
2015-01-07 13:43 UTC, Mike Bluestein
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED FIXED

Description Mike Bluestein 2015-01-07 13:43:37 UTC
Created attachment 9275 [details]
test case

Run the app (works)
Make any xaml edit (exception)
Clean and run (works)

This is with stable and X.Forms 1.3.0.6292

I made a video demonstrating this here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORpQ8Iy0hmU

Test case is attached.
Comment 1 Rajneesh Kumar 2015-01-08 03:43:40 UTC
I have tried to reproduce this issue with attached test case in bug description and able to reproduce this issue, application throws Exception  when user runs app after changing in xaml.

Hence marking this as Confirmed.

Supplement info:
Exception Details: https://gist.github.com/Mohit-Kheterpal/fde0433d77ab3612b0be
adb logcat:https://gist.github.com/Mohit-Kheterpal/9c55b89d6c5b4d30790f
ide logs: https://gist.github.com/Mohit-Kheterpal/bde54331c0d2219821e9

Environment info:
=== Xamarin Studio ===

Version 5.7 (build 661)
Installation UUID: 3dbf10c4-ed30-4e55-8a8b-1704777c7b5f
Runtime:
	Mono 3.12.0 ((detached/a813491)
	GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

	Package version: 312000068

=== Apple Developer Tools ===

Xcode 5.1.1 (5085)
Build 5B1008

=== Xamarin.iOS ===

Version: 8.6.0.50 (Enterprise Edition)
Hash: 561dfed
Branch: 
Build date: 2015-01-06 17:56:14-0500

=== Xamarin.Android ===

Version: 4.20.0.28 (Enterprise Edition)
Android SDK: /Users/apprpject/Desktop/android-sdk-macosx
	Supported Android versions:
		2.1    (API level 7)
		2.2    (API level 8)
		2.3    (API level 10)
		3.1    (API level 12)
		4.0    (API level 14)
		4.0.3  (API level 15)
		4.1    (API level 16)
		4.2    (API level 17)
		4.3    (API level 18)
		4.4    (API level 19)
		4.4.87 (API level 20)
		5.0    (API level 21)
Java SDK: /usr
java version "1.7.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_65-b17)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

=== Xamarin.Mac ===

Version: 1.11.3.0 (Enterprise Edition)

=== Build Information ===

Release ID: 507000661
Git revision: b70bab61da996da29045ea8ee8aed1a6faedbe78
Build date: 2015-01-05 16:31:31-05
Xamarin addins: 82f6c71490562d6cd125a09287f441902fdac3d7

=== Operating System ===

Mac OS X 10.8.5
Darwin localhost 12.5.0 Darwin Kernel Version 12.5.0
    Sun Sep 29 13:33:47 PDT 2013
    root:xnu-2050.48.12~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Comment 2 Alan McGovern 2015-01-09 09:26:02 UTC
This is the bug caused by using MSBuild::Compile as the generator for xaml files. I can't find the other bug which was dealing with this.
Comment 3 Stephane Delcroix 2015-05-29 08:38:20 UTC
The project was created with an old version of the XF tools.

For those old .csproj file, you have to manually update and replace 

      <Generator>MSBuild:Compile</Generator>

by

      <Generator>MSBuild:UpdateDesignTimeXaml</Generator>

new xaml files are created with the right generator
Comment 4 Rajneesh Kumar 2015-06-02 11:32:02 UTC
As per comment 3, I have checked this issue and follow the instruction and observed that this issue get resolved. By doing so user is able to run the application and it does't throws the Exception  when user runs app after changing in xaml.

Screencast: http://www.screencast.com/t/LtQwL9MvVJZT

This issue has been fixed hence I am closing this issue.

Thanks..!

Environment Info: https://gist.github.com/Rajneesh360Logica/21b7e804975cd28c47fe