Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
When referencing Syncfusion.SfChart.Android.dll (Syncfusion Xamarin suite) the aapt.exe keeps crashing with output like
> D:\Android\android-sdk\build-tools\21.0.0\aapt.exe package -f -m -M C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\4jbsneqj.11v\AndroidManifest.xml -J C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\4jbsneqj.11v --custom-package app4.app4 -F C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Temp\4jbsneqj.11v\resources.apk.bk -S obj\Debug\res -S G:\Temp\TempProjects\App4\App4\obj\Debug\__library_projects__\Syncfusion.SfChart.Android\library_project_imports\res -j obj\Debug\__library_projects__\Syncfusion.SfChart.Android\library_project_imports\bin\SfChart.Android.jar -I D:\Android\android-sdk\platforms\android-21\android.jar --extra-packages com.syncfusion.widget.chart --auto-add-overlay
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Xamarin\Android\Xamarin.Android.Common.targets(794,2): error MSB6006: "aapt.exe" exited with code -1073741819.
It is probably jar related error not specific to Syncfusion, but who knows. It happens with both Xamarin IDE and Visual Studio.
To repro just create a blank Android project and reference mentioned assembly. VS will start reporting aapt crashes...
Version: 4.20.0 (Business Edition)
Android SDK: D:\Android\android-sdk
Supported Android versions:
4.0.3 (API level 15)
4.4.87 (API level 20)
Java SDK: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_39
java version "1.6.0_39"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_39-b04)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.14-b01, mixed mode, sharing)
I tested with latest stable and I am experiencing the same aapt crash. The only thing that recently changed was beta update (that I can think of). With previous beta it was working. Can I get the previous beta to double check it?
What's probably happening is you've updated the Android SDK build-tools, which updated `aapt`, and `aapt` is not reporting new errors. (One I ran across: aapt now reports an error if you have an <activity/> without an android:name attribute.)
Please enable diagnostic build output, and (hopefully) that'll dump all the output that aapt emits. If that doesn't work...then we'll need to hack up Xamarin.Android.Common.targets to preserve those temp directories so that you can run the aapt command manually...
Diagnostics doesn't help. I've updated SDK but only after this error started (I think).
From the path I see that aapt v21 is used. Is there a setting that would use lower version?
Anyway, I am ready to hack that target.
@Miha: At the end of the _UpdateAndroidResgen target is a call to <RemoveDirFixed/>. REMOVE IT.
In Xamarin.Android 4.20, this is line 850:
<!-- Delete our temporary directory -->
<RemoveDirFixed Directories="$(ResgenTemporaryDirectory)" />
After removing it, rebuild your app. You will (again) see the `aapt` command, but now the directory it's referring to will still exist. Copy the entire `aapt` command and run it manually from CMD.EXE.
If you're lucky, you will see additional output that may provide a hint as to what's going wrong.
Note: The file to edit is:
OK, solved the issue. The problem was, that I was using build-tools v21.0.0. Once I've installed 21.1.1 the problem went away. I assume Xamarin uses the latest if more than one version is installed.
As per diaagnostics. I've removed the <RemoveDirFixed /> node and was able to run it from command line. At least now is clear why there was no error output - aapt 21.0.0. simply crashes without any output whatsoever.