Bug 21799 - [Android] Webview displays incorrect characters
Summary: [Android] Webview displays incorrect characters
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Forms
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Forms ()
Version: 1.2.2
Hardware: PC Mac OS
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2014-08-04 14:19 UTC by John Miller [MSFT]
Modified: 2016-03-16 12:01 UTC (History)
5 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community or GitHub with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description John Miller [MSFT] 2014-08-04 14:19:05 UTC
**Overview:**

   The attached sample shows a WebView that displays incorrect (unicode?) character. 

**Steps to Reproduce:**

   1. Run the attached sample. A webpage should load.
   2. There should be a button at the button labeled 'Info'. Press this button.
   3. A list of data should be presented.

**Actual Results:**

   Some of the text contains incorrect characters. On iOS the text is displayed as expected.

**Expected Results:**

   The text should not have the incorrect characters. Should the same as it is displayed on iOS. 

**Build Date & Platform:**

   XF 1.2.2.6243

**Additional Information:**

   The test requires Google Play Services, so a device might be needed. I tested on a Samsung Galaxy S4. The website in step 1 did not display correctly on a Nexus 5.
Comment 2 Shruti 2014-08-20 07:44:11 UTC
I have checked this issue with attached Test Case Project.  In this project, GCM.Client library was missing. I did google and get GCM.Client code from https://github.com/Redth/GCM.Client. I download this project and build it so that I could get GCM.Client dll.  Then I add GCM.Client.dll in Test Cast project. When I run this project, I am getting exception. Due to this I am not able to reach the exact issue.

 Please let me know What I missed to reproduce this issue.


Screencast regarding same : http://screencast.com/t/WRGWAmVQw1

Environment Info :
Xamarin.Forms 1.2.2.6243
=== Xamarin Studio ===

Version 5.2.1 (build 1)
Installation UUID: 67eaf3b4-f8a7-4ab4-a9df-3197350ca5dc
Runtime:
	Mono 3.6.0 ((no/f540f8a)
	GTK+ 2.24.23 (Raleigh theme)

	Package version: 306000039

=== Apple Developer Tools ===

Xcode 5.1.1 (5085)
Build 5B1008

=== Xamarin.Android ===

Version: 4.14.0 (Business Edition)
Android SDK: /Users/ixamarin78/Desktop/android-sdk-macosx
	Supported Android versions:
		2.1   (API level 7)
		2.2   (API level 8)
		2.3   (API level 10)
		3.1   (API level 12)
		3.2   (API level 13)
		4.0   (API level 14)
		4.0.3 (API level 15)
		4.1   (API level 16)
		4.2   (API level 17)
		4.3   (API level 18)
		4.4   (API level 19)
Java SDK: /usr
java version "1.6.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_65-b14-462-11M4609)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.65-b04-462, mixed mode)

=== Xamarin.iOS ===

Version: 7.2.6.28 (Business Edition)
Hash: 606f31a
Branch: 
Build date: 2014-08-01 15:27:48-0400

=== Xamarin.Mac ===

Version: 1.10.0.7 (Business Edition)

=== Build Information ===

Release ID: 502010001
Git revision: d06832ce9807d6be24aca225457e8b37c7669f6f
Build date: 2014-08-07 12:10:47-04
Xamarin addins: 1de032531be4cecf2f39dbee3b87aac78204058c

=== Operating System ===

Mac OS X 10.9.4
Darwin XamnewiMac.local 13.3.0 Darwin Kernel Version 13.3.0
    Tue Jun  3 21:27:35 PDT 2014
    root:xnu-2422.110.17~1/RELEASE_X86_64 x86_64
Comment 3 Jason Smith [MSFT] 2016-03-16 12:01:01 UTC
Thank you for taking the time to submit this report. After reviewing the description of this bug, we no longer believe it affects the current version of Xamarin.Forms. If you are still experiencing the issue after updating your packages, please reopen this report with an attached reproduction.
 
For your convenience, we have created some reproduction best practices viewable here: https://gist.github.com/jassmith/92405c300e54a01dcc6d

Warm regards,
Xamarin Forms Team