Bug 2170 - Mono crashes on file locking with multiple threads accessing the same file
Summary: Mono crashes on file locking with multiple threads accessing the same file
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Runtime
Classification: Mono
Component: io-layer ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Linux
: --- normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2011-11-23 10:39 UTC by Esben Laursen
Modified: 2011-11-23 20:39 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:


Attachments
Repro code, stack traces and mono versions. (10.32 KB, application/zip)
2011-11-23 10:39 UTC, Esben Laursen
Details


Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on GitHub or Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description Esben Laursen 2011-11-23 10:39:48 UTC
Created attachment 935 [details]
Repro code, stack traces and mono versions.

This is the description from Novells bugzilla (https://bugzilla.novell.com/show_bug.cgi?id=718973)

My app started crashing with a SIGABRT while using a 3rd party logging lib
after some hours, we think we have nailed it down to the way that mono locks
(oplock) the file.

I am using mono 2.6.7 on a Debian Squeeze, we have tried to reproduce the exact
error that we got, but I have unfortunately been unable reproduce it exactly.
The error that mono 2.6.7 prints on my repro is not very informative and I
though that I try a newer version, unfortunately its much worse in 2.10.5
(tested with ubuntu 11.10) there my repro code crashes after just a few writes.

Please let me know if there is anything that you need to fix this as it quite a
big deal for me and mono in general..

I hope that severity is correct as mono crashes..

Cheers

Esben

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
I have attached my repro code, its not the exact stacktrace that I get in my
app, but there is some problem anyways.

Just compile and run it. With v2.10.5 it fails after a few writes with 10
threads, with v2.6.7 it can be a while, but forcing the threads to 50 speeds it
up.
Actual Results:  
It crashes, with a SIGABRT..

Expected Results:  
It should continue in a endless loop writing to the same file..
Comment 1 Zoltan Varga 2011-11-23 20:39:15 UTC
Fixed in HEAD/2.10 branch.