Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Created attachment 7436 [details]
Repro project and parallel stacks screenshot
Making http requests from within asynchronous tasks is leading to deadlocks in Android apps when automatic decompression is enabled.
This causes deadlocks when using Azure Mobile Services, as they will implicitly use an http client with automatic decompression. To avoid deadlocks with AMS in async scenarios, it's necessary to specify an explicit HttpClientHandler without automatic decompression enabled.
The Visual Studio debugger gives very little information about async Android scenarios, but I've included a screenshot of the parallel stacks window while deadlocked in the repro zip attached.
I've also included a small project that reliably repro's the issue on an emulator running Android 4.0.3.
I have checked this issue with Xamarin 3.1.224 and with given attached zip sample.
I observed that the deadlock is not generate and I am able to build application successfully.
Could you please check this with latest stable build? and let me know if you get same issue.
=== Xamarin Studio ===
Version 5.1.4 (build 0)
Installation UUID: 917f9508-3cad-494a-8fd9-cc9e3683ecc5
Microsoft .NET 4.0.30319.34014
GTK+ 2.24.22 (MS-Windows theme)
=== Xamarin.Android ===
Version: 4.12.6 (Business Edition)
Android SDK: D:\SDKndk\AndroidSDK\android-sdk
Supported Android versions:
2.1 (API level 7)
2.2 (API level 8)
2.3 (API level 10)
3.1 (API level 12)
4.0 (API level 14)
4.0.3 (API level 15)
4.4 (API level 19)
Java SDK: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_31
java version "1.6.0_31"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_31-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.6-b01, mixed mode)
=== Build Information ===
Release ID: 501040000
Git revision: 7d45bbe2ee22625f125d0c52548524f02d005cca
Build date: 2014-07-14 13:38:46-04
Xamarin addins: c78f1d88e57baa928aeee1484d96e6f8edf8de33
=== Operating System ===
Thanks, Parmendra. Sorry to be so slow in getting back to you.
I updated to the latest build and the bug does appear to be fixed now. Thanks for investigating the issue and I'm glad to see it's been taken care of.