Bug 17062 - No provisioning profiles have been detected. Please ....
Summary: No provisioning profiles have been detected. Please ....
Status: VERIFIED NORESPONSE
Alias: None
Product: Visual Studio Extensions
Classification: Xamarin
Component: Debugger ()
Version: 1.8.x
Hardware: PC Windows
: Normal normal
Target Milestone: 3.9
Assignee: vsx
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2014-01-05 15:20 UTC by Andy
Modified: 2016-05-10 17:02 UTC (History)
12 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED NORESPONSE

Description Andy 2014-01-05 15:20:45 UTC
[05-Jan-2014 21:16:53] Error: No provisioning profiles have been detected. Please visit the iOS Provisioning Portal at http://developer.apple.com to create one.
[05-Jan-2014 21:16:53] 	No provisioning profile
[05-Jan-2014 21:16:53] Error: No provisioning profiles have been detected. Please visit the iOS Provisioning Portal at http://developer.apple.com to create one.
[05-Jan-2014 21:16:53] Command [Build: CommmandUrl=Build] finished (16)

This only happens when I try to deploy via VS to iPhone. 

Works ok from XS on the mac. Works on simulator via VS

I opened the project on XS and set the correct provisioning profiles manually too...
Comment 1 PJ 2014-01-07 12:35:50 UTC
Hi Andy,

You might need to log into your apple developer account from XS using Xamarin Studio -> Preferences -> Developer Account.

That's definitely one possible cause of the issue, but should only happen if you're using XS 4.2.1 or older. 4.2.2 restores the fallback to the XCode database for provisioning profiles. (And yeah, although I'm talking about XS versions this does affect the VS extension's ability to use the provisioning profiles on the mac).

If you're using 4.2.2 or later, we'll have to continue the investigation. If this is the case, I'd also check to see that the XCode you're using in Xamarin Studio is actually named XCode.app in /Applications.

VS will use XCode.app even if you've set Xamarin Studio to use, for instance, XCode5.app or something like that. 

Hope this helps, I know you've experienced a number of problems and I'd like to get to the bottom of all of them.
Comment 2 Andy 2014-01-07 12:43:43 UTC
Well, thanks for understanding me, I haven't been able to work properly on months, I too would like to see things working properly. I also appreciate something has happened since bug tracking is moving fast now...

I the last version, so nothing to do with signing in (which I - you can see why - will never do through XS). I'll check later the app name, however, the installation proceeded by default.  

Besides, why only the device causes this ?
Comment 3 PJ 2014-01-07 12:53:41 UTC
The provisioning profiles are only needed for iOS devices, not for the sim, that's why you're only seeing it for devices. Hopefully the issue is one of XCode naming. If you're just upgrading XCode as normal through the app store though, it would keep the XCode.app name. We'll have to see.
Comment 4 Andy 2014-01-07 13:33:51 UTC
Of course, you're right. 

I updated Xcode through AppStore ? Mmmh, I'll check it later the naming, all I know now is that I not around the old Xcode for ios 6 sdk sake. Not using it right now though. 

Please note, that even on the simulator, many times VS can't kill the app to redeploy it. Will submit bug when I have time
Comment 5 Andy 2014-01-08 04:59:10 UTC
I have a

Xcode.app

and 

Xcode 4.6 (old one) 

in /Applications
Comment 6 Andy 2014-01-08 13:35:11 UTC
Is it because of capitalization (XCode vs Xcode) ? What should I try ?
Comment 7 dean.ellis 2014-01-08 13:38:06 UTC
Andy

you can try creating a symlink from your XCode.app to Xcode.app  I use a similar technique to have multiple versions installed. Not sure it will fix the issue, but it might be worth a try.
Comment 8 Andy 2014-01-08 13:42:45 UTC
Well, that's assuming the case issue is relevant. That's what I was asking. Since i installed Xcode  in the most normal way, why is the plugin looking for the incorrect case ?
Comment 9 PJ 2014-01-08 13:50:09 UTC
I was wrong with the capitalization, sorry. Xcode is correct. (lower-case 'c'). What you have is correct Andy (and is the default).

The reason I wanted you to check though is to see if your XS is set to use the Xcode 4.6.app in the iOS SDK preferences. That would mean XS is using Xcode 4.6 and iOS for VS is using Xcode.app (which is presumably Xcode 5?).

I'd check your XS settings here: http://screencast.com/t/bOvDnejqIh

If it's blank or says /Applications/Xcode.app then you're not seeing the issue I'm describing. If it says /Applications/Xcode 4.6.app then I'm pretty sure the behavior difference you're seeing is due to the mismatch.

To fix that, you'd want to log into your developer account from XCode itself (if it's XCode 5), and/or just make sure you can deploy using the Xcode named Xcode.app. You can do the former using Xcode -> Preferences -> Account tab (http://screencast.com/t/fT9rmVyNPpD)
Comment 10 Andy 2014-01-08 14:11:24 UTC
As mentioned in comment 4, I don't use old ios 6 sdk anymore. The sdk path option is empty
Comment 11 Marek Habersack 2014-01-09 04:25:45 UTC
Andy,

I don't know (lost track in all the changes throughout the other bugs) which version of the VS extension and which Xamarin Studio you are using now, but can you try this:

  - start Xamarin Studio on Mac
  - open its Preferences
  - go to Developer Account, if you have it
  - click on the Apple ID you're using for development, in the list on the 
    left, or add it ID if it isn't there
  - now click the View Details button
  - click Refresh button in the details box

After this is done retry the build/deploy from VS
Comment 12 Andy 2014-01-09 04:36:10 UTC
I've tried every version in the past :) right now I've settled with:

VS2013
Plugin 1.8.35 (stable)
XS 4.2.2 build 2 (stable)
Xcode 5

Regarding the Apple ID to give in XS...we had a very interesting conversation with support on the forum which boils down to...we feel really uncomfortable providing XS with such detail. No offense, but besides a trust issue, the thing kept deleting my project resources in the past, I don't want to risk it deleting my Apple ID from the earth too...

So we won't give XS our Apple ID, and I know I'm not alone in this aspect
Comment 13 Andy 2014-01-11 10:15:27 UTC
Tried to uninstall and reinstall Xcode, from the Appstore.

No go
Comment 14 Andy 2014-01-13 12:53:23 UTC
Can you think of some workaround ? Or at least something I can try ? Building on the Mac takes now around 3 minutes when I need to test on devices...
Comment 15 Andy 2014-01-15 05:14:03 UTC
Can someone answer this:

- Of XS doesn't require anymore my id (although it pops up the annoying dialog every time I open signing options) why does VS need them ?

- are you going to fix this, or is it by design, so we can't use the VS plugin without giving up our passwords to you ?
Comment 16 Jose Miguel Torres 2014-01-15 05:32:05 UTC
Hey Andy, 

Sorry about this issue. Could you please attach the mtbserver.log file that you will find at ~/Library/Logs/Xamarin/MonoTouchV folder? 

thank you so much for your co-operation
Comment 17 Andy 2014-01-15 05:44:18 UTC
I would really like to provide the log, but now it doesn't build and says:

Error	3	Could not load file or assembly 'mscorlib, Version=2.0.5.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7cec85d7bea7798e' or one of its dependencies. Strong name validation failed. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A)	D:\c-sharp\OSX\LogicGames\LogicGames\SGEN	LogicGames
Comment 19 Marek Habersack 2014-01-15 06:08:10 UTC
(In reply to comment #15)
> Can someone answer this:
> 
> - Of XS doesn't require anymore my id (although it pops up the annoying dialog
> every time I open signing options) why does VS need them ?
VS doesn't need, store or use your Apple account password. The build server need XS (starting from Xamarin.iOS 7.0.6) to populate the database. If you're using Xamarin.iOS older than that then it is not necessary.
Comment 20 Andy 2014-01-15 06:15:19 UTC
So if the XS I'm using doesn't need the Apple ID, nor should it VS. That's what I was saying and so this is a bug. I don't know how your software works and was afraid you decided that since the VS plugin is of secondary importance, to keep it simple with the Apple ID.
Comment 21 Marek Habersack 2014-01-15 06:30:43 UTC
In comment 11 I suggested you try that to get you a working set up. But it's not the original bug since the version of Xamarin.iOS you use does not require it. On the other hand, you are using an old version of Xamarin.iOS - please install 7.0.5 and see if that version works for you.

I'm not sure why you say VS plugin is secondary importance, this is not the case.
Comment 23 Andy 2014-01-15 06:46:13 UTC
I assume it's of secondary importance because it sounds like one can always work on the Mac, if VS doesn't work.

Ok I can try betas (7.0.5 I believe ?), if you suggest so. However I can't use them normally since in the past betas messed up my projects so badly I was unable to work for two days. Anyway I can try them for the small stuff (ie games), but not for real work.
Comment 25 Marek Habersack 2014-01-15 07:55:13 UTC
(In reply to comment #23)
> I assume it's of secondary importance because it sounds like one can always
> work on the Mac, if VS doesn't work.
This logic can be as well reversed and the distinction is indeed non-existent.
 
> Ok I can try betas (7.0.5 I believe ?), if you suggest so. However I can't use
7.0.5 is the current release. You can't try the current beta (7.0.6) since it requires XS to populate the database which you don't want to use. So you need to use 7.0.5 for the time being.

> them normally since in the past betas messed up my projects so badly I was
> unable to work for two days. Anyway I can try them for the small stuff (ie
> games), but not for real work.
Comment 26 Andy 2014-01-15 07:59:59 UTC
So why 7.0.5 doesn't get updated automatically if I'm on the stable channel ? I have 7.0.4.209 installed. I can check for updates and nothing gets installed

The VS plugin needs XS installed on the Mac as I understand it uses quite a few things of it. 
The reverse is not true, so if VS.plugin doesn't work, you can always use XS on the Mac. But if XS doesn't work, you're screwed.
Comment 27 Andy 2014-01-15 08:02:07 UTC
Hold on, it actually is installing right now if I ask to check for updates manually. 
When was this published ? 

And (for the love of gos) why is there no date on changelogs on the website (http://docs.xamarin.com/releases/ios/xamarin.ios_7/xamarin.ios_7.0/#5) ?
Comment 28 Andy 2014-01-15 08:02:50 UTC
And by the way, I have 'Check automatically' checked
Comment 29 Andy 2014-01-15 08:22:19 UTC
I updated to 7.0.5 and now VS can't connect to the build host anymore. I tried repairing but it doesn't work. The changelog says :

Includes Xamarin.iOS for Visual Studio 1.10 server components

Which means I should install Betas on VS with Stable on the mac ? I've given it a try

(by the way please consider that:
- halfway updating, it opens this (for 1.8 not 1.10) http://docs.xamarin.com/releases/ios/xamarin.ios_7/xamarin.ios_for_vs_1.8/
- when I switch channel, it still looks for stables
)

But it still won't connect to build host. I had to reboot. Which in turn told me the PIN is invalid, but when I try to re-pair, it won't budge. So I rebooted once more. Now it goes further and when diagnosing it says the SDK is not the same as on the Build Host.
So I should go back to Stable VS tools ? Which means I have to uninstall them manually and reinstall EVERYTHING, since the installer is buggy.

Do you see where my frustration comes from ?

I think I'm still confused. When you say:
> 7.0.5 is the current release. You can't try the current beta (7.0.6) since it
> requires XS to populate the database which you don't want to use. So you need
> to use 7.0.5 for the time being.

it sounds like the last version I'll be able to use is 7.0.5.
Comment 31 Andy 2014-01-15 08:36:56 UTC
Ok, reinstalled everything. I have 7.0.5 now.

Still same problem. By the way this happens in Debug, Ad-Hoc, everything. Just choose device as target
Comment 32 Andy 2014-01-22 07:57:37 UTC
I've been stuck with work on this for two weeks now, without any progress. 

Anybody else can help ?
Comment 33 Andy 2014-01-24 11:22:45 UTC
To whom it may concern:

At this point the signing command which the VS plugin reports as failing on the build host, works perfectly when entered manually on the Mac command line. Instead from VS it says it can't find any provisioning profiles.

we're totally stuck with Dominique, who's actually  at trying to solve this. I even tried to uninstall everything on both machines, or try it with a different Mac (a VM) without any change in the result.

The only idea I have is this:

couldn't it be that the same command that works on console manually works because I'm the one logged in (so it can find my certificates), while instead when executed from VS it is executed under different credentials ? Or in some way it looks for certificates of someone else ?

If nobody is willing/able to put together a diagnostic tool that understands what is happening, can't you just add some more diagnostic code to the current beta version, so that maybe it can tell us more on why it can't find the certificates (i.e. where it is looking for them, how, what it has found and what not, etc) ?

I am almost sure the reason I'm the only one reporting this VS bug (and others) is because others already gave up using it. There are at least a couple of people who are very happy I'm taking the time to report this stuff to you as they don't have time / patience and would really like to use VS, but they just can't waste all this time and found the tool too buggy.

..if anybody else can help, please do. Three weeks of work lost and counting.
Comment 34 Andy 2014-01-25 11:03:57 UTC
Update on what's been tried:
In the course of tests, we found out that The diagnostic dialog has some trouble to understand the machine IP. Of course this could just be a different bug, as even when the ip was correct it failed. 

However the problem seems to be random, at a certain point the plugin gets a bit confused and either recognizes the ip and machine name as two different computers, or shows a WAN IP. this happens with both routers I tried and with LAN and wifi. I even tried disconnecting from the internet, without much change. 

I found out that at times it shows default redirect IP for my ISP for DNS KO lookup (NXDOMAIN), or in other words the page shown when someone enters an invalid web address. The same IP can be reached at http://ar.libero.it

Does it help ?
Comment 35 Andy 2014-01-30 06:07:46 UTC
Update: 
Dominique repackaged a mtbserver with some more logging and unexpectedly this worked correctly. However we have no clue why the default one doesn't work and this does, since apparently he only added a few logging code. 

Can anybody just try to locally build and package a mtbserver so that we can try if it's a build/package/deploy issue ?
Comment 36 Jose Gallardo 2014-11-14 12:40:55 UTC
Hi Andy,

Can you please verify if this bug is fixed in the current version?
We're marking it as resolved, but please feel free to re-open it if you're still facing this issue.

Thanks
Comment 37 Mohit Kheterpal 2014-12-22 11:19:55 UTC
As there is no response, so I am closing this issue.