Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
GitHub or Developer Community with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Related to bug 17050
When troubleshooting the above bug, I installed GTK# for .Net 2.12.23, as suggested in the original forum discussion (
It did not solve the hotkey problem described in the bug 17050, and introduced another problem - Cyrillic letters cannot be entered anywhere in Xamarin Studio (code editor, text fields in the dialog boxes etc).
Another problem was that the Studio interface became Russian despite it was set to English in the Studio settings.
- Make sure you have Xamarin Studio 4.2.2 and Gtk# for .Net 2.12.23
- Launch the Studio.
- Observe the interface language is Russian, and it won't change to English even if you tell it to.
- Make sure the keyboard layout is ru-ru.
- Open code editor and type some letters. Observe that nothing appears and the caret does not advance.
- Switch the keyboard to en-us. Now you can type again (Latin letters obviously).
- Switch back to ru-ru. You can't type again.
- Rollback Gtk# to version 2.12.22.
Using Xamarin Studio 4.2.2 on Windows 7 x64.
Windows language is Russian.
Installed keyboard layouts: en-us, ru-ru. Ru-ru is default.
> Another problem was that the Studio interface became Russian despite it was set to English in the Studio settings.
I believe this is probably the issue described here: https://bugzilla.xamarin.com/show_bug.cgi?id=16724
If so, we'll be releasing the fix for that hopefully soon. Feel free to grab the intl.dll and libintl-8.dll that are linked there if you'd like to. If you do that, let me know if those fix or don't fix the issue for you.
As for the Cyrillic input, I'll have to look into that one still.
> Feel free to grab the intl.dll and libintl-8.dll
No, they don't fix the issue (stupidity double-check: I was supposed to copy them to '~\GtkSharp\2.12\bin' overwriting existing ones?).
The interface still won't change from Russian, and Cyrillic letters still won't work.
My apologies, I forgot that you'll also need an updated Xamarin Studio build (which is not released yet) in addition to the intl.dll and libintl-8.dll in order to fix the display language. That bug has been fixed and is just pending QA and release.
I will have to look into the Cyrillic input still. That is unrelated to the display language fixes. I'm surprised to learn that Cyrillic was working in 2.12.22. That makes me sad that we've got a regression in keyboard input, I'll try to look into this soon.
Status update: As of GTK# 2.12.25, Cyrillic input works (so this bug might apparently be closed), but the Xamarin Studio interface would remain Russian regardless of the menu setting. I had to roll back to GTK# 2.12.22 to fix the interface. Hopefully Studio 4.2.4 release will fix that too (bug 16724), but as of 4.2.3 the problem remains.
Yes, bug 16724 is fixed but requires changes in both GTK# and the Xamarin Studio Once the next release is out that should be fixed for you. I *think* it may already be fixed in the Alpha channel, but I'm not absolutely sure.