Bug 14572 - Reference to NewtonSoft.Json in *.csproj changed when loading from Perforce depot (intermittent issue)
Summary: Reference to NewtonSoft.Json in *.csproj changed when loading from Perforce d...
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Visual Studio Extensions
Classification: Xamarin
Component: iOS ()
Version: 0.x Insider Preview
Hardware: PC Windows
: --- normal
Target Milestone: 1.12 (Merge)
Assignee: Bill Holmes
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-09-09 16:05 UTC by Jon Goldberger [MSFT]
Modified: 2014-03-26 07:31 UTC (History)
8 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
VERIFIED FIXED

Description Jon Goldberger [MSFT] 2013-09-09 16:05:42 UTC
I'm currently working in Visual Studio 2010 with Xamarin Studio for iOS
development plugin and I've run across a curious issue. I have the
following project configuration:

Solution
+ Project 1 (Xamarin.iOS Library)
- Uses Newtonsoft.Json component from the store
+ Project 2 (Xamarin.iOS.Universal Empty Project)
- References Project 1

So when we add the Newtonsoft component Xamarin adds the 'Components'
folder at the project level so the file structure looks like this:

+ Solution Folder
- Components Folder
- Project 1 Folder
- Project 2 Folder

After doing this, everything works correctly. We are using Perforce and we
keep everything in the solution in the central depot, minus the
obj/bin/userprefs stuff for each project. Now when the team pulls down
changes to the solution/projects, we sporadically get errors b/c the
reference to the Newtonsoft component is no longer found. When I diff the
*.csproj files, I see this:

*In Source Control*
<Reference Include="Newtonsoft.Json">

<HintPath>..\Components\json.net-4.5.11\lib\ios\Newtonsoft.Json.dll</HintPath>
</Reference>

*Local Copy*
<Reference Include="Newtonsoft.Json, Version=4.5.0.0, Culture=neutral,
processorArchitecture=MSIL" />

I have played around with settings and opened the project with the project
files checked / not checked but I have yet to find a consistent way to
reproduce this issue. Is this this a known issue? Is there anything
(settings, project structure, etc...) that can be done to stop these
changes from occuring so we can improve our workflow?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://xamarin.desk.com/agent/case/45662
Comment 1 Alan McGovern 2013-10-31 14:38:58 UTC
This issue has been fixed as part of the MTVS 1.8 series. Please try again once this hits the alpha/beta/stable channel.

Thanks for reporting the issue.
Comment 2 narayanp 2014-02-04 07:51:25 UTC
Can't verify this issue because of Issue: Bug 17594
Comment 3 narayanp 2014-03-26 07:31:32 UTC
I have checked this issue with following builds:

VS 2013/2012/2010
Xamarin for VS 1.12.247
X.iOS 7.2.1-63

I have followed steps mentioned in this issue. I am not seeing this error mentioned in this issue. Application builds successfully.