Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
Created attachment 4621 [details]
This bug is based on desk case 43672:
I'm seeing this issue when building with the shared runtime is disabled, and 'x86' is selected as the only supported ABI. I've added some additional logging and a reproduction case.
Mono 3.2.1 ((no/f3f789e)
Galaxy Tab 3 10.1
This project is messed up in many layers.
In release mode it's reinstalling the Mono Shared Runtime every single time and it's shipping with the runtime embedded. This doesn't make sense.
We should do only only one of those or fail the build because the user picked a broken set of options.
Any updates on this? We have client that has made a sizable investments in Tab 3's and they are not too happy that our app simply does not run on the device
*** Bug 12829 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
I am also seeing this issue with Android multi-core x86 device users. Incidentally, some of the users had devices which have libhoudini (arm emulation library for x86), so I was able to provide them a custom build that **DID NOT** have x86 abi support and they were then able to use the app. I do really need to be able to include the x86 binaries in a single apk for the Play store, but this helped me deal with the issue in the short term for testing. Perhaps it will help you as well, I don't know if Tab 3's have that cross-compatibility feature or not (I'd be curious to know).
I have attached a logcat with debug level mono logging enabled. Note that it exhibits the same error as the original poster's app.
E/mono-rt ( 8163): [ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
E/mono-rt ( 8163): at (wrapper dynamic-method) object.4c0aee22-a470-4bce-8e99-7067987d839e (intptr,object) <0x00000>
E/mono-rt ( 8163): at Java.Interop.TypeManager.n_Activate (intptr,intptr,intptr,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x000f5>
E/mono-rt ( 8163): at (wrapper native-to-managed) Java.Interop.TypeManager.n_Activate (intptr,intptr,intptr,intptr,intptr,intptr) <0x00043>
E/mono-rt ( 8163):
Created attachment 4731 [details]
debug level mono log before crash of xamarin.android initialization on multi-core x86 phone
We are also having exact same problem as in comment 4.
I had cpu support for armeabi, armeabi-v7a AND x86 checked, and it produced exact same errors in my logcat as above. After I unchecked x86 support, then the app started normally without exceptions.
If I deploy in debug mode in Visual Studio (using the shared runtime) there is no problem, the problem occurs only when I deploy in release mode (not using shared runtime).
The device I am testing on is a Galaxy Tab3 GT-P5210 with Android 4.2.2.
This is a build configuration issue.
If I create the same template I cannot reproduce the issue anymore.
NM, managed to repro it.
The bug has been fixed and will be part of our next release. It will hit the testing channels some time later this month.
Can anybody advise on how this fix can be obtained?
This thing has become a major nuisance for our customers that are currently purchasing hardware as part of the 2014 budget, but can not even test our software on the Galaxy Tab 3 or Asus Memopad.
FYI, I tried to use Xamarin.Android 4.8.3 released yesterday and the bugfix appears to not be included. I have been stuck building without x86 binaries, however, not all x86 androids can perform ARM emulation. I can run my app (albeit slower) on the Galaxy Tab 3 and some Asus devices (not sure about the Memopad specifically), however, devices like the Lenovo K900 simply can\'t run the app.
So, where is this promised bugfix then?
We have thought of the ARM emulation as well, but it would not help a lot as customers need to test the device first and based on performance they would decide on purchase. Some of our customers say the Tab 2 is already difficult to find/purchase, where other customers already purchased Tab 3's, not expecting our app would not work.
Just wanted to update this bug, sorry for the delay. 'later this month' was a loose estimate from Kumpera in comment 9.
This fix will be released as part of Xamarin.Android 4.8.3, and it should hit the beta channel by the end of this week.
Xamarin.Android 4.8.3 will hit the stable channel by next Friday barring further blocking issues.
Thank you for your continued patience.
Today I rebuilt my app with the new alpha build of 4.8.3 that was available from Xamarin Studio. I found that my app started correctly. Thank you!