Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in
Please join us on
Visual Studio Developer Community and in the
Mono organizations on
GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain
available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work
on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations
as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related
Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug
tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we
make these adjustments and improvements for the future.
Please create a new report on
Developer Community or GitHub with
your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error
messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to
this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.
From the forums (http://forums.xamarin.com/discussion/6533/xamarin-cannot-see-running-avds):
In Xamarin, I hit the run button and after the project is finished building, I get a dialog to select a device. There are a list of emulators available, so I click one and hit start emulator. The emulator then successfully starts. But Xamarin still claims the device is "not started", and refuses to allow me to deploy.
The emulator is working, and Eclipse has no problem deploying to it. I've tried attaching a real device (4.2 and 4.3), and Xamarin detects neither, whereas Eclipse will happily deploy to it.
I have pressed the refresh button more than a thirsty man in front of some kind of slushie machine. Sadly, no effect.
I ran adb devices, it does have the avd that's currently running listed. For completeness, I killed and restarted the server as well. Still no joy.
I have run a variety of emulators, from 2.3 up to 4.3. Mostly I've been running 4.2, but nothing has worked on Xamarin.
My Java version is 7 as it turns out. 1.7.0_25, or something to that effect. However, I'm pretty sure I also have 6 installed, and that's what Android & Xamarin is using (see below, under Xamarin version).
=== Xamarin Studio ===
Version 4.0.10 (build 7)
Installation UUID: 7fcef020-62ca-4992-9e6f-806255a576d8
Microsoft .NET 4.0.30319.18052
=== Xamarin.Android ===
Version: 4.8.0 (Starter Edition)
Android SDK: C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk
Supported Android versions:
2.1 (API level 7)
2.2 (API level 8)
2.3 (API level 10)
3.1 (API level 12)
4.0 (API level 14)
4.0.3 (API level 15)
4.2 (API level 17)
Java SDK: C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jdk1.6.0_32
java version "1.6.0_32"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_32-b05)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 20.7-b02, mixed mode, sharing)
=== Build Information ===
Release ID: 400100007
Build date: 2013-07-20 02:59:47Z
Xamarin addins: fe4f180e2386eafc00087ef68c3a580cff4a2592
=== Operating System ===
Windows 6.1.7601.65536 (64-bit)
The problem might not to be as easily reproducible as I had hoped. I could not reproduce it with any combination of Java 1.60_39 and 1.70_25.
Judging from the age of this report and no further updates, I'll close the bug off for now.