Bug 12837 - Doesn't install lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe and friends
Summary: Doesn't install lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe and friends
Status: RESOLVED FIXED
Alias: None
Product: Runtime
Classification: Mono
Component: packaging ()
Version: unspecified
Hardware: PC Linux
: --- normal
Target Milestone: ---
Assignee: Bugzilla
URL:
Depends on:
Blocks:
 
Reported: 2013-06-23 13:20 UTC by Luke Shumaker
Modified: 2016-03-08 01:26 UTC (History)
3 users (show)

Tags:
Is this bug a regression?: ---
Last known good build:

Notice (2018-05-24): bugzilla.xamarin.com is now in read-only mode.

Please join us on Visual Studio Developer Community and in the Xamarin and Mono organizations on GitHub to continue tracking issues. Bugzilla will remain available for reference in read-only mode. We will continue to work on open Bugzilla bugs, copy them to the new locations as needed for follow-up, and add the new items under Related Links.

Our sincere thanks to everyone who has contributed on this bug tracker over the years. Thanks also for your understanding as we make these adjustments and improvements for the future.


Please create a new report on GitHub or Developer Community with your current version information, steps to reproduce, and relevant error messages or log files if you are hitting an issue that looks similar to this resolved bug and you do not yet see a matching new report.

Related Links:
Status:
RESOLVED FIXED

Description Luke Shumaker 2013-06-23 13:20:28 UTC
In mono 2.x releases, "${prefix}/lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe" (and "4.0/dmcs.exe", etc.) was available.  The build system of several programs depended on it, namely nant, and programs that use nant.

I suspect that this happened when {g,d,}mcs were rolled into the same binary.  "${prefix}/lib/mono/2.0/gmcs.exe" should either be a symlink to or a copy of "${prefix}/bin/gmcs".

Sorry if I didn't report this in the correct product/component.
Comment 1 Alexander Köplinger [MSFT] 2016-03-01 13:16:22 UTC
gmcs/dmcs has indeed been replaced with mcs. We provide a replacement script for dmcs that points to mcs.
Comment 2 Luke Shumaker 2016-03-07 21:53:37 UTC
Right, it provides the wrapper script in ${prefix}/bin, but not in ${prefix}/lib, which broke nant.  Further, the wrapper script wouldn't keep nant happy, because it expects the .exe files in ${prefix}/lib to be assemblies, not just arbitrary executables (I don't think I'd realized that when I reported the bug).

I don't know if I'd found other things that broke, or if it was just NAnt.

Maybe that's a bug in nant, not mono.  The breakage surprised me; I'd expected better backwards compatibility.  Maybe that was unreasonable of me.

Way back around the time that I'd reported this, I ended up writing a patch for nant to work around it.  It has to turn all of <attribute name="manged">true</attribute> flags to false (because they're not assemblies); I'm not sure if this has any subtle consequences (if any, I'd expect weird things when building for specific CLR versions); but it works. https://projects.parabola.nu/abslibre.git/plain/libre/nant/mono3.patch

At the time, NAnt development seemed dead and developers unreachable; it seems to have picked back up (though there hasn't been a new release since 2012), so perhaps it's time I brought this up with them.
Comment 3 Alexander Köplinger [MSFT] 2016-03-08 01:26:39 UTC
There's nothing in lib/ because gmcs/dmcs don't exist anymore :)

The patch for NAnt would be wrong too now since the 2.0/4.0 etc folders in lib aren't supposed to be relied upon (we're now shipping reference assemblies for the older profiles only in separate folders).

If NAnt picks up again I'd suggest parsing the FrameworkList.xml files lib/xbuild-frameworks/.NETFramework like xbuild does, it will point to the correct set of assemblies to use during compilation.